Best winter tent camping item?

racoon

My son lives up north and mentioned he wants to do some winter camping (only god knows why). I live in the south, and I know nothing about tent camping in seriously cold weather. For all winter campers here, what is the single, most advantageous product to buy for winter camping in your opinion? There are probably many, but what is the number one thing your happy to have bought? Are there several number ones? I want to surprise him with an excellent gift for this.

Grandpa

In addition to Chad's excellent suggestions would be good hi tech clothes for staying warm. A relative newcomer in this area are the down jackets/shirts such as the Marmot Zeus, Montbell Ex light down jacket and others. These are hi quality down lightweight shirts or jackets made to be the 3rd layer in a 4 layer system or 4th in a 5 layer system, yet pack into a tiny stuff sack and weigh only ounces.

ejdixon

Agree with what everyone else said here. Staying warm is the most important thing when you go winter camping.

DMan

You definitely want a sleeping bag that's properly rated for cold temperatures. I would also recommend getting a very thick insulated pad to sleep on. That will keep the cold from seeping in from the ground.

Hikenhunter

Cold weather clothes are important but a good sleeping system is the most important. When you are sleeping you need a system that will hold your body heat in. With out a good sleeping system you are flirting with death.

ponderosa

The suggestions offered are right on the money. I'll offer a specific suggestion. I absolutely LOVE my down filled sleeping pad. That thing is three inches of cushy, comfy warmth. I tend to always be cold, so I'm using it year round, but it's a great winter pad. In winter, I put an old fashioned closed cell foam pad under it (ya know, like the 1/2 inch blue boy scout pad) as insurance against a leak.

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf

ppine

Forester
Without a doubt, a good wood stove.

It is the only way to keep your clothes and sleeping system dry on a trip more than a few days or in wet weather.

I suspect most of you do not have experience with these devices, but they have been around for centuries. It is ironic that people omit the obvious in pursuit of high-tech materials and new ways of doing things.

A small collapsable stove will fit in a canoe, on a dogsled, or on a mule's back.

For a short trip on skis or snowshoes I would bring a lean-to and build a fire in front of it. Great for drying boots and socks, and staying warm in all weather, even below zero.

Last edited:

daveandzoey

My son lives up north and mentioned he wants to do some winter camping (only god knows why). I live in the south, and I know nothing about tent camping in seriously cold weather. For all winter campers here, what is the single, most advantageous product to buy for winter camping in your opinion? There are probably many, but what is the number one thing your happy to have bought? Are there several number ones? I want to surprise him with an excellent gift for this.
get him a 4 season tent. They are expensive but its something he would probably love to have if he doesn't already.

ChadTower

Another good idea.

I had a thought on this. If he is like most of us, and he's going to go out in tough conditions, he will want to choose his gear. I don't like depending on gear someone else chose even if they have the best of intentions. Maybe the best thing to do is give him a gift card or take him to a good local store and offer to pay.

livvie01

Last year I went winter camping in a leanto with my daughter, first time for both of us. Warm sleeping bag and layered clothing. I really didn't get cold. Oh, a few bottles to put warm water in to put in the bottom of the sleeping bag to keep your tootsie's warm, works too. We live in the northeast, so it's cold...and there was 2 foot of snow.

racoon

Wow, super excellent suggestions here! I will probably end up buying him several items mentioned here, and a gift card (good idea, ChadTower) to pick out his own hi-tech clothing, then refer him to this forum. All the items mentioned here are just fantastic! I love that wood stove idea, too! Thanks all!

Last edited: