Bike lane

JimBob

Before I had moved to the area I live in I had never seen a designated bike lane before. People rode on the sidewalks where I'm from. Here they have one and they often get in the way of traffic to where you have to get over sometimes. Do those people have the right of way on those busy roads? To me it's crazy because pedestrians and bikers get killed from cars running off the road in South Florida, but they have a bike lane for them. I'd never ride in it. I've seen too many news articles about people getting hit.

outwest

We have had a few accidents in our town for people on bikes but most times its always the downtown area when its jam packed for a concert in town/heavy traffic dates. I would be a little worried to try and ride down there any other time.

georgia_outdoors

We have bike lanes in the nicer cities surrounding us, but none here where we live. I wish we did, because I only live 4 miles away from where I work, and it would be a refreshing change to bike back and forth instead of driving my car there. Without bike lanes or sidewalks between here and there though, it's way too dangerous!

hippieP

There is one major place in out city that gets a bit tricky when you are driving near the bike lane. For some reason they refuse to remove it and replace it with a wider lane for the bikers even though both bikers and drivers have tried to petition for it.

oldmangunner

We have bike paths along the roads here. They are meant for bikes and are evenly paved, unlike sidewalks. However, most bikers prefer to ride on the road. I can't figure out why people don't ride on the bike paths where it is safer.

DThewanderer

I have never heard of designated bike lanes. I can see why they could be both a good and a bad thing. My wife would have a terrible time driving in a city with them though; she can't bear to drive next to motorcycles so bicycles would really spook her.

KeikoOka

I wonder if more and more cities are going to start having designated bike lanes. I know A LOT of people here are riding their bike instead of driving because of the high cost of gasoline.

JimBob

I'm not sure the biking has to do with the cost of gasoline. Biking seems to have always been a big thing down here. I don't think they should be treated like vehicles like they seem to want to be. They will make a left turn with the lanes turning left like they are with the flow of traffic. I'm old school because I would be on the sidewalk like when I was a kid.

jason

fear no beer
Well you mentioned Florida, and well I'm from Florida, so here you go. Florida legally defines a bicycle as a vehicle. The same rights are provided to them, must obey same traffic laws as motorized vehicles. If riding on sidewalks/crosswalks they must yield to pedestrians and give audible signal before passing.

You have to operate a light between sunset and sunrise. A white light visible from 500 feet for the front. A red light visible from 600 feet on the rear.

If you are not traveling at the same speed of other traffic you must ride in designated bike lanes, or as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of road way. You can move away from right side to pass, turn left and avoid hazards.

This is a big one that the suncoast riders here ignore on some of the back roads. You cannot ride more then two abreast except on paths designated to bicycles. Riding two abreast you cannot impede on traffic when traveling less then normal traffic speed. I catch that group several times taking up two lanes and it gives other bikers a bad name.

You must signal intention to turn 100 feet before turn. You can use left turning lane when turning left.

You cannot listen to headphones.

And yes, you can get a DUI on a bicycle.