Biking diet for 10 year old

limbs

My son loves to bike. He is only ten years old but he will ride around our property and neighboring park all day long. I tracked him and he does over 10 miles of biking a day when you add it all up. No wonder I can't put any weight on this kid. How can I fatten him up or feed him so he has the energy to do this?

Grandpa

I had one of those and I do not envy your grocery bill. He all ready has the energy so just keep feeding him good foods.

Judy Ann

Better an active child than a sedentary one! As Grandpa advised a good quality, well balanced diet is the best, and not inexpensive. Don't worry about adding weight, but keep a lot of healthful snacks around for inbetween meals. This might be the perfect time to join Sam's Club or CostCo for those necassary fruits, vegetables, meats and dairy products. He'll eat whenever he is hungry and now is the time to avoid foods with empty calories and high sugar content. Most of us looked skinny and gangly/lanky at one point or time in our growing years of 10-18.

We won't discuss growth over 50!!!!

PieInTheSky

You will want to make sure he gets enough protein and calcium to support the muscle and bone growth that he has the potential for. Add cottage cheese to meals, eat white meats with occasional red meats too. You also want to make sure he gets the right kinds of carbs.

ChadTower

If he has the energy then he's getting the food he needs. He will eat as much as he needs to keep going day to day. If he suddenly stops and starts acting lethargic then you need to worry. For now, so long as he's going 25mph all day, clearly he has the calories he needs to keep going.

ponderosa

My kids are very skinny, but also very healthy. Mine are just 2 and 4 years old, and people are always asking me if I'm worried about their tiny size. I'm not. They are both below the 1st %ile on the weight growth chart for their age, but they're also very smart, very active, and developmentally appropriate in every way. I suspect your son is as well. Somewhere people seem to have gotten the idea that a kid has to be in the top half of the growth chart to be considered healthy. I wouldn't worry about any kid who is able to be that active- he's eating what he needs or he wouldn't be able to play that hard.

MrDigitech

I personally find those growth charts annoying. Here is why..

6yr old son has never been on the chart except for the first 6 months of his life. He has always been under the "chart". He is healthy now (had a tonsil issue that hindered him for a couple years) and extremely active, a small 3'7'' ish. Runs all the time. Yes he's on the small side but hey everyone is different.

And then

9yr old daughter has always been in 95% or above on the charts. She is 5ft tall and is in good shape. Her doc says she has 11 yr old bones, yada yada. Has great energy (not quite the same as my 6yr old rocket ship mentioned above but boys vs girls, everyones different) and is a healthy young girl.

So everytime they go see the doctor my daughter gets worried that she is "different" because of the chart they always mention. The same my son gets worried that he is "different" because, again, the chart they always mention.

So I have to explain yet again how everyone is different and everyone grows at different rates/times, boys/girls. Not a big deal but my daughter especially worries.

Sorry, someone brought up the "chart"

Cheers!!

Buehner

A friend of mine who is obese was actively changing her diet and then found she wasn't continuing to lose weight. So she bought a bicycle and started slow. Now she is riding 9 miles to work and trying out new trails. Last time we spoke she had a new bike rack for her car. Biking is a great way to get fit or stay fit.

Ilovelife

I dislike those growth chart too. My kids are always one side or the other. I don't take them too seriously. As long as your child grows consistently and proportionally everything is fine.

ponderosa

Yep, I hate the growth charts. I was so happy to find a doctor for my little girls who can focus on their health and developmental wellness instead of freaking out about their 0.06%ile ranking on the stupid charts.

Grandpa

Yep, the growth charts suck. My weight is just right if only my legs were 8 inches longer.