Blue algae

lbean

I am concerned about the blue algae that is closing lakes down. What worries me the most is that it is not isolated. How is the algae getting from one lake to another?? By boats?

Charlene

This is the first I've heard of this. How disappointing. I'm sure there's a link to some toxic chemicals, probably airborne I imagine. Perhaps acid rain?

oldmangunner

The bue algea is natural however what has become unsettling is how many lakes have been shut down to it. Even though it is natural I would not be surprised if there is an enviromental factor. Blue green algea is a toxin, you can read about it here.

DThewanderer

By golly I think i have seen cyanobacterial blooms. I have always wondered why people in Ohio are so paranoid about going in the water. This does explain quite a lot. Thanks for the link.

hydethebeef

That is a good informational page but they do not say how many lakes in Ohio have been closed. What about Indiana, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania? Do they also suffer from the blue green algea?

lbean

Wow, I did not know that this occurred naturally. For me that makes it a little bit scary. Of course I have swam in Ohio lakes lots of times so many it is not as bad as they are making it sound.