Bow Hunting

Adam

Sometimes I think bow hunting is a lost art. I went out with a family friend a few times when I was a kid, and had the best time of my life. I loved it. why don't more people bow hunt nowadays?

northernbushape

The Jeepist
My guess would be the amount of time required to become adept at it to the point where you can hunt ethically with a bow. I shoot a 50 lb recurve and it takes a major commitment to maintain accuracy and consistency with it. I have to shoot all the time.

Another factor may be that a rifle is more efficient and can be effective at much longer ranges. I would not take an animal past 30 yards with the bow which means all my stealth skills need to be much sharper than say, a hundred yard or 150 yard shot with a rifle.

I am actually abandoning rifle hunting in favor of more traditional hunting as I really enjoy the hunt more than the kill itself.

southerngal

We are actually looking into bow hunting this year. My husband has been shopping around for a bow and possibly a crossbow as well. I wasn't expecting them to be quite so expensive though.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I bowhunt for everything. I am not opposed to using a gun. I have many guns. However, I use compound and traditional bows to hunt everything from frogs to bear. I make bows under the "Dinosaur" name. I make longbows and recurves.

I fish with a bow. There is no greater thrill in hunting than hitting and bringing in a ten pound or better fish with a bow. The meat isn't bad either.

Stoker

Fishing with a bow? I imagine you'd have to be REALLY adept at bow hunting to be good at that. But that does sound like a real blast.

staime

I love the idea myself but I know I do not have the strength needed to do it properly, even for target practice. I doubt I would attempt fishing either, I do not have great skills but I think shooting off for a larger target seems better.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I bowhunt for everything. I am not opposed to using a gun. I have many guns. However, I use compound and traditional bows to hunt everything from frogs to bear. I make bows under the "Dinosaur" name. I make longbows and recurves.

I fish with a bow. There is no greater thrill in hunting than hitting and bringing in a ten pound or better fish with a bow. The meat isn't bad either.
That's awesome! I would love to see some of your work! I have been toying with the idea of picking up a longbow one of these days too.

Greenjack

It's great to know that some people still do bow hunting. I have never done it myself but I would love to. Though, like the others said, it will take so much time to become adept at it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Northernbushape, God bless ya. I am on the cusp of retirement and have pretty much shut down all of my bow building activity. I figure I will do two or three a year and forget all the commercial crap. What kind of bow are you looking for?