Brand name gear or no name manufacturers?

flint

When buying your gear do you go for the big brands or do op for the cheaper ones that you never heard about before? I usually go for the brand names since I'd rather I shell out the extra cash than for my gear to break down in the middle of nowhere.

mountainguy

I find that usually the cheap stuff is also up to the task but they fail you quite often so in the long run you might end up spending more than just going out and buying quality gear.

Refrigerator

Honestly...I bought gear according to my budget......now at a well seasoned age and money not an issue I buy only quality high end gear and have found that all my low end gear is in the box closet. If low end works for you I say go for it.

IndianaHiker

I have bought both and have yet to find that the low end stuff being equal to the higher end gear. I still have some cheaper things because they work but the are always heavier and more apt to fail.

freedommachine

I have both. I have had tons of fun with walmart gear like tents, stoves, hydration bladders etc. But yes I will admit the name brand stuff pays to buy it. Theres a reason it became name brand and popular. Theres only a few times I prefer cheaper gear, when doing lava tubes is one time I will prefer the cheaper hyradtion bladder. Doing the lava tubes, things will be torn, no getting around it, my gear will be ripped, shredded etc.

Grandpa

I take a $39 dollar pack when I go to S Utah. It has served me well for many years but not going to take a Gregory and lower or raise it over the sandstone with ropes.

I just bought a $400 dollar sleeping bag to replace my 10 yr old $79 cheapy. One night and the new one had to go back to the manufacturer.

Just about everything is being outsourced to China these days. The only thing a high end product will get you is a better warranty. At least they had better take care of the problem with that new bag.

Last edited:

jason

fear no beer
I go by how much I will abuse the item and think it will last. Soemthing like a knife, I spend the extra money. Something like sunglasses I wear when hiking I buy cheap. I'll forget them, they fall and break, I sit on them. I cannot see buying rayban's every month. Although I do have a decent pair for fishing.

ChadTower

Depends what the gear is. If it's something I could manage without I might buy a budget version. If it's something I rely on I buy top flight. My budget doesn't always support that but the good thing about top flight gear is that you can always pick it up used. 25 year old quality gear works just as well as new gear. Sure, it will weigh more, but I'm not backpacking.

carmen

I hate the prices for some brand names but for me it depends on what I am purchasing. I might try out some no names to test the brand but most times they tend to flake out.

Grandpa

I take a $39 dollar pack when I go to S Utah. It has served me well for many years but not going to take a Gregory and lower or raise it over the sandstone with ropes.

I just bought a $400 dollar sleeping bag to replace my 10 yr old $79 cheapy. One night and the new one had to go back to the manufacturer.

Just about everything is being outsourced to China these days. The only thing a high end product will get you is a better warranty. At least they had better take care of the problem with that new bag.
My bag just returned. New style zipper that actually works. couple of other additions that should have been on the original

ryoga-kun

With cheaper stuff it's often a hit or miss but I've felt that as long as I took care of it, the cheap stuff held out okay.
Two things I never cheap out on are footwear and a good knife.