Bringing your pet

FreeWilly

If you go camping and bring your dog, please remember to pick up after them. It's not nice for someone like me to step in their droppings after they just came up to me as a stranger and I gave them a good pat on the head. :tinysmile_twink_t2: I'm trying to be funny here, but that really has happened to me. It's hard to clean a shoe when you've got nothing to clean it with.

ejdixon

I agree with you, Willy. Not really sure on how great of a fertilizer dog poop is, but it's definitely not going to win you any compliments from your neighbors, especially when they can smell it a mile away. Besides, it only takes a few seconds to bend over, pick it up, and dispose of it.

Survivo

That is why I always carry scouring pad for shoes and clothes in case of a heavy rain and mud or types of situations you already described. :)

calanta

I totally agree! While we never bring our cats we do bring the dogs and everyone in the family helps out. We even do this when we go to local parks downtown and I have caught a few people who ended up not picking up after their pets and I have no issues calling them on it either. ;)

mccallum

That is why I carry grocery bags when walking in town; if the dog does it in a yard it is picked up. If in the gutter it is covered and left for nature to deal with. If you are hiking or camping one should remove the scat that one leaves (yours or theirs)

ejdixon

ppine: sad thing is that there are a lot of campers that bring their dogs that are even way too lazy to do that. :(

outwest

I see people who should never be pet owners all over the place, leaving their dog in the car parking lot for Petsmart, on a trail not picking up after the pup. I am honestly amazed these are the same people we allow to have children. If they can not care for a pet what makes anyone think they could for another human being?

FreeWilly

In the wild, just bury it, just like we do with our own mess.
I must be slow, because it took me a moment to get your joke. That's so true and I didn't even think of it.

Outwest, I totally agree with you and that's not even the worst of it. I can't stand hearing about animal abuse in the news.

Hikenhunter

Pet owners who don't control and clean up after their animals really irk me. Owning a pet is a responsibility and If I see someone letting their dog poop in a public place and not cleaning up after it I have no problem telling them about it. Also I love dogs better than most people I know, but I don't like strange dogs running up to me, out of their owners control, and I have to wonder if this dog is freindly or not. I think it is great that people take their dogs camping, but they have to keep their dog under control at all times.

Hikenhunter

I like to bring my dog along backpacking. I always clean up after him when he poops and I never let him run up to others who are out there trying to enjoy themselves. Bring them along but be a good responsible pet owner, not a slob.

TroyS

Just like what everyone else mentioned here, owning and bringing a pet entails a bit of responsibility. The one thing that really irritates me is seeing campers that bring their dogs with them complaining about their campgrounds being so messy and making a fuss about it, yet, allow their dogs to just roam free. Worst part is when they poop in your campsite and the owners expect you to be the one to clean it up since it was in your campsite and not theirs. Sheesh!