Bug Spray

Judy Ann

How often does the permethrin spray need to be applied on clothing...oops, saw the links! Thanks Refrigerator.

freedommachine

Mosquitos will go after and single one person. I read some info a while back on it. I cant remeber where it was but most mosquitos will single a person out in a crowd. If you hike and use bug spray, be careful as the bug can block the pores of your skin and cause your body to overheat. So if sitting around a campground for the night,by all means spray it on. If out hiking try to spray it more on your clothes,hat,pack etc. And remember to wash the stuff off as many times as you can before respraying yourself to avoid skin problems. There is a such thing as over applying, plus you dont feel clean.

Refrigerator

Definitely keep deet off your laminate clothing such as gore tex, event or any rain gear that has a laminate construction. Deet will destroy and DE laminate nylon

freedommachine

Yes deet can be tricky to use, I find long sleeeves the best. Deet can be a very powerful cleaner,it can remove paint and other things right off of tile floors,so yes be careful on what you use it on

rockytibby

Yes bug sprays can be very poisonous. On our honeymoon we camped for 9 days and we used 40% deet. 2-3 days into the trip my husbands forehead swelled up. He look like a Neandrathal man, it was funny but not funny. I have pics but he would kill me. Moral of the story watch where you are spraying and dont over do. Hehe.

oldsarge

Yes bug sprays can be very poisonous. On our honeymoon we camped for 9 days and we used 40% deet. 2-3 days into the trip my husbands forehead swelled up. He look like a Neandrathal man, it was funny but not funny. I have pics but he would kill me. Moral of the story watch where you are spraying and dont over do. Hehe.
When stationed at the jungle school in Panama, we tested a new issue bug repellent, it was a white cream in a squeeze tube, maybe some of you other Vet's out there are familiar with it. I guess I got it too close to my nostrils and I ended up getting an allergic reaction to it. My whole head swelled up and my lungs were all congested. I looked like a Jack-o-lantern! I never had that reaction from DEET.

burnday

I have been using "Maxi-Deet" for a few years now, its really the only thing i have found to work, Granted some people i think can be affected in harsh ways from it, but i never have nor has anyone i know. It is %100 Deet, and in my neck of the woods, is the only thinkg to keep them mosquitos away!