Bugs

Campergal

Don't you just hate them?

We are tent camping a bit early this year and we are right on the river, so the bugs are brutal. When we first got to our site, the bugs were so think, it was hard to even see through them.

Once we got the fire going and got it to smoke nicely for us, they disappeared for the most part. We will stand right in the smoke and get our clothes all smokey so they leave us alone. Works better than bug spray.

I noticed a lot of people have their areas surrounded by tiki tourches. Have you used these? Do they really work?

How do you get rid of the bugs?

RCD

fjying insects

There are aerosol flying insect fogger's that run about $10.00 a can. Cutter, Black Flag, Ortho, and Raid, sell these to spray around your camping area or a backyard to keep away the pesky flying insects. I have tried the Raid Brand, it worked very good at keeping away the insect for about 3 hours.

calanta

I am the one in the group that is bitten by almost everything, if not everything. The same one that is allergic to skeeter bites so when I get hit by one, it looks like the size of a quarter. :(

campclose

I hate bugs too. It isn't just mosquitoes either, but those little black bugs that bite.

We have tried many things to not get bit. I don't think there is a way to get rid of them, just stop them from biting you. We've used many sprays, tiki torches, citronella candles, and smoke. They just don't stop biting!

This year I'm trying those new Off clip-ons. They are supposed to work for 12 feet around you. You clip it on your pants or shirt and that is it. Not sure if they will work or not, but worth a try.

OutTheBackDoor

I saw those in the store but I didn't know if they would work or not. You're also supposed to be able to clip it to the tent above or near you and it's supposed to repel the bugs also. If it works like they say it does, I'll buy a half a dozen. I'm allergic to mosquito bites too. And I can't say as I'm partial to ant pinches either.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

katharina

Don't you just hate them?
We've used spray and smoke as you mentioned. And yes, I certainly do hate bugs... shivers. Mostly mosquitoes but my other major foe is a yellow jacket. I don't know why, but there seems to be a LOT more yellow jackets around in the last few years than before.

HereToday

Has anyone had any luck with citronella candles? The bugs I encounter take no notice of them. Perhaps the candles were too old? Or am I not using them correctly?

deltic

bugs always seem to go for me and most repellent sprays smell dreadful and leave an odd smell on the skin.

Campergal

I find the the citronella candles only work in a very small area. We burn one on our camping table. I notice that when it isn't lit, there are more bugs than if we don't have it lit. The never seem to totally disappear though.

I am interested in those foggers. I will have to look into them and see how well they work. For $10, they better work good.

I am also interested in hearing how those off clip on things work. I see commercials for them and wonder if they are to good to be true. You will have to keep us updated on them Campclose.

I must do something right though. With all the bugs that surround us, we come home with very minimal bug bites. We have some, but we could be much worse with all the bugs that we fight with.

calanta

I have used those candles on my back porch at the house and they work for crap sorry to say. It seems its only if its on a table but the bugs will still get you when you are in the chair around the table. We ended up using tiki's for the back porch and we do the smoke deal when camping. I would rather smell of smoke than be constantly bitten.

marky

So I guess no one here as tried those clip-on bug repellents? Never tried them myself, though from what I've read, it seems it's reasonably effective, though you'd probably want to use it in conjunction with other repellents. Someone reported a 50-75% decrease in bugs using the clip-on. One of these days I'm going to have to give them a try (though I'll brings some sprays for backup).

deltic

I would like to try the clip on repellent, it would be great to find something that worked, I always get bitten.

failghe

I have heard of some people using dryer sheets. Just put them somewhere on or near you. I haven't tried it yet but will the next time we camp. I've also heard of people eating garlic.

justontime

I have heard of some people using dryer sheets. Just put them somewhere on or near you. I haven't tried it yet but will the next time we camp. I've also heard of people eating garlic.
I have heard about using dryer sheets too, I am not quite sure how it works.