Building up endurance

danny28

I need some good ideas on how to build up my endurance. I've always been active but it seems lately when I'm hiking up bigger - steeper hills I get really winded. My buddies tell me I need to build my endurance. Any tips, what sort of exercise?

IndianaHiker

Best way to exercise for hiking is hiking. Start out on shorter trips and build up. Other than that just walking as much as possible and maybe climbing stairs.

wvbreamfisherman

Walk up and down hills, if possible. Top build up your wind, windsprints are good, or run the stairs of the bleachers at your local football field. That helps, but the best is just hike, since it uses the same muscles you'd be using in the field.

WalkingMan

Good vid. I may have to start doing those too. I am in decent shape but it would be wonderful to have a bit more endurance. If this doesn't do it, nothing will.

Michael

I can do a hundred normal squats pretty easily, but my knees hurt after. I think if I tried Hindu squats, my knees would explode.

If you're getting winded, you need cardio. Find the proper range to which you should elevate your heart rate (talk to your doctor about this), and choose an activity that gets your heart rate there and keeps it there for at least 20 minutes (again, talk to your doctor).

The general guideline is that it takes 2 times a week to maintain cardio, and 3 or more to improve. Remember to warm up and cool down.

Of course, one of the great things about this is that hiking is generally pretty good cardio. If you want to elevate your heart rate, select a hillier trail than usual, and keep up your pace on it. You can do, say, a half hour of hills, then switch onto a more flat path and stroll at a more relaxed pace.

campershell

Ah, thanks for that reminder, Grandpa! Am also in a less than better shape although I do daily exercises. Those squats looks easy, but I doubt if I can make that much...

Ingrid

When I returned to the active life I was in terrible shape. I couldn't enjoy my hikes the way I wanted to because I got too tired too quickly. During the winter season I started working out at the gym. I couldn't run on the treadmill because it hurt my knees so I just started increasing the incline. I got to the point when I could do an hour at maximum incline. It still wasn't as steep as some of the climbs I wanted to make, but it really did help get me into condition to be able to make them.

calanta

I am amazed with some of the endurance tricks a friend of mine gave me years ago when she did cross country training. She could out run me any day of the week. Quitting smoking is a plus too, more endurance and healthier. :)

Grandpa

I always went up the trails using this technique long before I knew there was a name for it or that it was even considered a technique.

Pursed lip breathing

But it definately helps the wind on long uphill climbs.

Jonas

I take the kids out to the local track and have them run up and down the bleachers. Won''t be doing that in snow but it does help parts of the muscles they don't use just running around like kooks on a day to day basis.

oldsarge

I couldn't run on the treadmill because it hurt my knees so I just started increasing the incline. I got to the point when I could do an hour at maximum incline.
My running has suffered also. I really enjoy using the incline on my treadmill. It has helped me a lot. Raising the incline will also help your lower back issues.