Buying a pocket knife.

ultimatesurvivor

I'm torn between a Wenger Ranger 61 or Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops HRT. They are around the same price, but I'm leaning towards the swiss. First off because, I have a smaller one and am quite satisfied with it, second the blade is made out of inox so I don't have to wipe it every time like I'm a samurai and third it's swiss. I'm only considering the Smith & Wesson because a friend has one and is very pleased with it, but I suspect it's mostly based on it's visual aspects not it's functionality, so I wanted to get a few extra opinions.
Other recommendations are welcome as long as it's in the 50$ price range.

P.S. I do not intend to go hunting with this knife, so if you have some other recommendations, I want a pocket knife, not something the size of what some people lift in the gym.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Go with the inox blade. I heard they last a very long time. And you're right about the cleaning, it's a very low maintenance knife. That, and it's swiss LOL

woodsman

Go with the swiss, I heard a lot of stories that the S&M's are made of high carbon steel that make there blade to soft. I personally have a swiss that was given in to me about 5 years ago on my birthday, the poor bastard was taken to hell and back, and it still cut's paper.

ultimatesurvivor

Thank you for the advice Woodsman, I'll take that into consideration, but I did know swisses keep their blades sharp a long time, like I said I have one too :).
Jimbo did you ever own a swiss?

dinosaur

troublemaker
Victorinox makes an excellent blade and makes all those wonderful tools that accompany it. The Swiss Army Knife has been around for some time and is an excellent choice if it is genuine.

On the other hand, if one is just looking for a good blade, Columbia River Knife and Tool has a duty knife for about thirty bucks that will last a lifetime. I have one I have been carrying for over a decade. It's sweet.

Last edited:

ultimatesurvivor

Victorinox and Wenger are owned by the same company to the best of my knowledge, they just kept their names after the merger, so I imagine the fabrication process is pretty similar so the end products quality should be the same.
Could you tell me specifically what model Dinosaur?

Last edited:

SmackontheWeb

For excellent user reviews of knives, guns and just about every kind of backpacking equipment you can think of, give this guy on YouTube a peek. Good stuff there. His YouTube channel is nutnfancy

Path

What are you planning on doing with the knife? Would be my point of view. I would want a knife / multi tool that could do all the carving, cutting all types of items from ropes, fishing line, leather, Bone and guts, drywall and whatever else. Also have the strength to hold something like pliers do. I've Always have used a = Gerber Multi-Plier 600 Blunt Nose Black 07520G,( I have the non-black version). I looked up your swiss, at least it has some tools on it. I too have an old swiss knife but I use it for less demanding things. The Gerber is a beast of a multi - tool.

limaker

I would love to a Smith & Wesson for an uncle of mine but I have been seeing some crazy prices online. Where are you looking and what are you finding price wise?

ultimatesurvivor

Thanks Path. I'll take that into consideration, but for the heavy duty I have a full tang blade.
Limaker I use my best friend google :), you'd be surprised what you could find if you enter the correct search terms.

Paige

My dad always had Case knives and always loved them. He had some that were really old and he kept them sharp enough to cut anything. Most of those weren't very big though. I still carry one of his in my purse but I have to be careful. Some places will prosecute you if you carry any size knife inside of their building or business. I went to the courthouse where I live the other day and I forgot it was there. They took it out and gave it back to me when I left. I was very embarrassed.:eek:

dinosaur

troublemaker
The old Case knives were wonderful. The new ones just don't seem to measure up. Tree Brand was another one that no longer exists. Western also made a great knife.

oldsarge

Victorinox makes an excellent blade and makes all those wonderful tools that accompany it. The Swiss Army Knife has been around for some time and is an excellent choice if it is genuine.

On the other hand, if one is just looking for a good blade, Columbia River Knife and Tool has a duty knife for about thirty bucks that will last a lifetime. I have one I have been carrying for over a decade. It's sweet.
I agree! I carried a Swiss for many years and ended up passing it down to my Son after I purchase a larger model. He still has it and it's in great shape for as old as it is. CRKT also is a good choice, economical and very well made. I have several of their knives.