Camouflage

MtMakiling

I like wearing camouflage or forest colors when I go camping or hiking. I think it is important to wear something that you can be easily spotted just in case something undesirable happens like getting lost. Well, I hope no one gets lost.

Barney

Until recently and when I was younger I was advocating that bright colors are the way to go. But now I enjoy tones that blend with the nature.

Johnny

Some people are required to wear bright colors, like hunters. While I see usefulness of this I also like earth tones and not specifically camouflage colors.

oldsarge

Used to wear Cammo because I had an abundant supply left over from the Army. Now it's pretty much anything but I agree on the brighter colors for safety. I'd hate to keel over and blend right in with the environment.

carmen

I am surprised at how few people I know that do not wear any Cammo, its almost like they are against it. To me it seems a little natural to blend in rather than stand out.

Grandpa

Once when hunting, I jumped a huge buck lying under a lone pine. Being smart, he kept the pine between me and his escape. As he reached the trees on the far side, I saw him turn downhill. Knowing my hunting partners were down there, I headed for the ridge where I knew there was a saddle about 300 yards ahead. Sure enough, the buck turned down hill and when out of sight he turned back to that saddle. I made the ridge ahead of him and slowly walked down to the saddle and when he came busting into the clear, I dropped him. As I shot, a human head popped up directly in the line I had shot and only about 5 degrees above. A kid wearing blue jeans and a blue jean jacket had been lying down in the midst of that bluish rock. He was totally blended in. I about puked realizing how close he was to my line of fire and I hadn't seen him lying there.

Every since then, whether hunting or just hiking, I have made it a point to have something bright colored showing. I consider myself fairly woods wise and aware of what is around me, especially when I'm ready to take a shot, but the mistake of not seeing that kid made me realize how difficult spotting a snoozing person can be. And if I can't see him, what about all the idiots who don't even look. It doesn't have to be hunting season to wear bright. A fall, heart attack, or anything else and if you blend in, you have diminished your chances of being found by a big bunch.

wvbreamfisherman

I generally only wear camo when I'm hunting turkey or bowhunting. Not that I have anything against camo, it just never really occurs to me to drag it out. If it's just a local day hike and I can count on the weather, I just wear whatever I'd usually wear around the house (jeans or work pants, work shirt, tee shirt or sweat shirt).

If its not wamr dry weather or Im going to be out for more than a few hours I dress appropriately and bring stuff to layer. I guess I have mostly earth toned outdoor stuff, although I have some bright jackets and shells.

Bosco

Wow, Grandpa...talk about dodgeing a bullet ! I bet that kid is wearing brighter colors Now!
My favorite camping garment is a hooded pullover I bought in Estes Park, CO...made by some natives in Chilie, I think. It has just about every color in the rainbow, is very warm and about the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I love it !

oldsarge

Another issue with cammo is some folks accociate it with extremist groups or militias. Specialy when you're decked out in the full uniform. I like the issue military pants with the re-enforced knees, seat and elbows. They do hold up real well. Even the shirts with the extra pockets are nice. I just won't wear them together.

freedommachine

I have a red camelbak my wifes sister bought me so even if I wear earth tones or camo trouser I still have a little bit of color on so hopfully no one shoot me. My giant breed dog is like they say a gentle giant so she stays close and calm, where my husky is a little more into running around so he to wears a red doggy backpack so hopfully some idiot with a gun doesnt shoot him. It seems hard to think somone would mistake a dog for a deer but people can be dumb. Once up in the mountains driving aroung in my jeep, another 4x4 came up the road. We stoped to talk and he was out bow hunting, he asks wheres my deer? He sees my dog in the back and say "oh, there your deer". I said no that my big white dog laying down.