Camp apples

carmen

I have to say apples are my favorite go to fruit both for a snack and for a dessert so when we found this online I had to try it. First time around it was in the backyard (the kids were doing a stay at home camp out) and they were a hit. Sometimes I swap the walnuts out for cashews since the kids like them more but it is good either way.

1 apple, sliced, cored, keep skins on
2 tbsp. coconut
2 to 3 dates, chopped
2 tbsp. chopped walnuts
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. butter
A few mini marshmallows

Combine all in foil packages, set around coals of camp fire and cook 30 to 40 minutes turning every so often, let cool 15 minutes before eating.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Tha sounds pretty good, carmen. I might just give this a try. Usually the only apples found around my campsite are the ones left by the horses.

carmen

I know many campers who have the same problem but it is really good. After the second or third time I get used to a new recipe I like to start experimenting with it. That is why this one is so good (being the most recent "find"), it changes a little each time it is made but so far it always turns out good.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Thank you much. I think I'm going to mix some up tomorrow. I don't think I have anything better to do.

cabinfever

That sounds pretty good. Baked apples is one of our camp cooking faves as it's easy and can be done so many ways. All you really need is the apple, a pat of butter and a couple teaspoons of any kind of sugar. If you find any wild strawberries, drop a few in the middle of the apple - it ends up delicious.

Barney

That sounds delicious but aren't 30 to 40 minutes too long for this type of setup? I'm just asking - not trying to be smart.

Dannytoo

Hey carmen, I tried the apples on the smoker, using a low temp. I cooked the little suckers too long, taste was good, the little apples were mush, going too try again.

Marshmallow

I don't think we can wait until we go camping to try this out. We have mini marshmallows left over from Christmas baking. I'm digging around to see what else is in the cupboard. I know we don't have apples.

Greatoutdoors

That sounds pretty good Carmen although I will probably leave out the coconut. I might have to give this one a try on the grill or in the oven because I have apples sitting around now.