Camp coffee

Bambi

For me coffee in the morning is a true necessity. 'What have you found to be the best ways to brew some decent coffee while camping?

steves

I too like my morning coffee, with so many different packets of instant available now and my Jetboil stove Coffee is in my hand before I am out of my bag.
Lately the Nescafe packets with the flavored creamore packets have been my saviors.

Yogi

I have a simple little 4 piece cook kit---enamel covered aluminum. It came with a two cup coffee percolator. I just make it the old fashioned way over a campfire like my mom did on her range in our kitchen years ago.

Lorax

Pot....water.....dump in some grounds and bring it to a light boil. Set it off to the side and tap it around the sides with your pot holder (stick, pocketknife, whatever), wait three minutes and pour slowly. No grounds ever and as good as you can make it at home.

Jade

I own an old aluminum percolator (3 of them, actually).... it sits just inside the fire stones on a piece of cast iron (which I put in the coals to heat up first).

The first guy up is usually me, and I'm the fire-tender and coffee-builder in the mornings.

ChadTower

I found the best way was to stop caring about it being decent. Some instant in a bottle of water does the same job with very little effort.

CozInCowtown

I have a large coffee pot on a coleman stove.
Add about a gallon of water.
Add 2 large handfulls of coffee grounds.
Drop in a horse shoe.
Bring to boil.
When horshoe floats to top, coffee is ready!

Here is a pic of my coffee pot on the right of the table......

Refrigerator

Pot....water.....dump in some grounds and bring it to a light boil. Set it off to the side and tap it around the sides with your pot holder (stick, pocketknife, whatever), wait three minutes and pour slowly. No grounds ever and as good as you can make it at home.
yep this is one of the best ways to easily make coffee and light weight when backpacking.
Great you posting this Lorax...

twodogs

steven randall
Cowboy Coffee , I have a porcelain coffee pot about 1/2 gallon, fill with water drop in hand full coffee bring to boil then set off to side of fire, drop in a cup of cold water and small amount egg shells that will send grounds to bottom of pot. Then ready to drink ,and the smell of coffee fixed this way first thing in the morning is to die for.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I found the best way was to stop caring about it being decent. Some instant in a bottle of water does the same job with very little effort.
Yeah that's okay if you don't know anything about coffee and are willing to drink pukewater. I like Lorax's post. I've done it that way many times and it produces a really good coffee.

I'm really picky about my coffee and I want it to smell good and taste good. Chad must be used to restaurant coffee where they don'y wash the pot very often.

mccallum

I have a pour through thing I bough at Ace Harware; it make a pot 32 oz of coffee in a mug I carry camping anyway (I leave home with it full of the coffee from the last morning home in it). "Boil" water on the camp stove or campfire pour slowly through the grounds and filter and coffee is born!! It is a one or two cup making thing.

Jade

My one grandmother used to make coffee the way that Lorax posted: she said it was the best way to make coffee, and refused modern methodologies for the longest time.

The grounds went around her strawberry plants, it deterred the slugs.

dinosaur

troublemaker
It appears Lorax is the man of the hour. Not bad for a Dr. Seuss character.

For anyone who is unaware, the Lorax is an environmentally conscious character who talks for the trees.