Camper vs. Tent

basejump

My spouse and I have been debating for a while about getting a camper of some sort. We've only used a tent so far for camping. What is your opinion? Is it worth the investment? I think it would be great for longer camping trips, but am worried that it would be too much like being in a hotel.

Cappy

I happily tent camped for many years all over the country, but eventually age made me change. First it was my Dad who was my hunting, fishing partner complaining about havin to get up ofn the ground and stumble outside to pee during the night. So I upgraded to a pop up. That way it had raised bed, a chamber pot, and built in gally. We drug itall over the south fishing and hunting and loved it. I married late in life and quickly discovered that as much as Peg loved to cam;p she couldn't crank up the pop up, and if forced to bug out for a storm it did her no good. I then up graded top a ultra lite pull behind camper carefully chosen and have no regrets and never looked back. A camper is only like a hotel room if that's what ya use it for. Trust me the older ya get the more ya appreciate the little things.:tinysmile_grin_t:

ppine

Forester
Basejump,
Many people share your concern. Spend your days outside. Use the camper to extend your season and allow for much longer trips. You don't have to stop tent camping.

stealth

I think a camper is a great investment. It can be especially useful during the colder months or bad weather when tent camping is much rougher. You can still camp in a tent if you want when the weather is nice. Really, you can still enjoy the outdoors as much as you want and just use the camper for sleeping depending on your preference.

CozInCowtown

We do both.
We have a 5th wheel and it is wonderful but requires a lot more labor before, during and after the trip.
We also have a "kit" that gets tossed in the bed of the pickup and off we go.
Tent, stove and lanterns, couple of coolers and sleeping bags primarily.
15 minutes and we are on the road.
JMO,
Coz

ponderosa

It isn't for me. I've been trailer/RV camping with friends a few times. For me, it just complicates the simplicity of camping. I can have my tent up in two minutes. We hung around for over an hour waiting for our RVing friends to get their rig set up. And for me, it does feel too much like a hotel, or a trailer park. Then I have to factor in the expense of owing and maintaining and the fuel bill for hauling the thing around. For that kind of money, I could afford pretty nice hotels or B&Bs. But, to each their own. Our friends very much enjoy their methods. You may like it, too. Only you can say.

Leonard

The best part of a RV is extended season, here in Florida tent camping is great from now till May. We avoid camping June-Sept. first trip of the season is a week away, got the itch real bad can't wait. That said we used a pop-up for years, just not the same experience for us.

wvbreamfisherman

I like a pop up for late and early season camping. It makes a good base for hiking or canoeing or touring in an area.

I like tent camping for primitive areas, for getting into areas that you campt drag a camper into, and of course backpacking.

Tent vs camper is like the canoe vs kayak discussion. They are different things for different purposes.

Grandpa

Like Ponderosa, we go tent or motel. Had a 30 ft bunk house type trailer that slept about 10. Ole truck guzzled enough gas dragging that thing around to pay for a good motel and dinner someone else cooked so got rid of it and went back to the tents. Besides, too many of the places we go are too rugged to drag a trailer. Grandma has her cot and I'm still young enough to sleep on the ground.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Maybe when we turn into snowbirds and head south for the winter, we'll reconsider. But for now, we like and enjoy our winters nearly as much as summer.

ppine

Forester
One of the unnoticed benefits of RVs is that when you stop for the night, you have your stuff, your blankets, your dishes and your dogs. Even a fancy hotel supplies stuff used by other people. I cannot stand hotels, resorts and motels and avoid them whenever possible. An RV can become a home away from home. It is like a fort when you are a kid. I like the 22 foot size. It fits in many campgrounds like USFS, has a real bed and is not too big. I never use the microwave, AC or hot water heater. We treat more like camping with 12 Volt lights, and a radio. In cold weather I turn on the furnace in the morning to get the temp up to the high 50s. It is like deluxe camping.

carmen

I think there is a time and place for both but some people do prefer one over the other. I am okay in a tent when the weather is nice but when we have to deal with random cool spots or rain I would rather be in a camper.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I'm the wrong person to chime in because my answer is neither. My wife and I use hammocks, even in public campgrounds.

But to me camper vs. tent depends on the purpose. If I were just using the campground as a place to stay overnight while traveling, or as a jumping off spot for sight seeing and day trips (sort of like a motel room), then a camper would be perfect. We almost bought one for that purpose until we realized that neither of our cars were rated to tow it.

However if the campsite is our destination and we're spending a few days there I'd rather use a tent so I can feel like I'm actually camping.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
It's sort of like the age old question, 'Are you really camping if ...'

If done it all. From bare bones backpacking with just a tarp or bivy, to a self contained travel trailer. Each has its good points and bad points. Right now, I'm seriously considering a teardrop trailer for car camping. And tenting can be as complex as a camper. Google Glamping.

ppine

Forester
Theo,
I've done it all is a pretty bold statement. Have you ever lived full-time in a motorhome? Have you ever taken a fifth wheel to Arizona for the winter? Ever been a backcountry ranger for a summer in a wall tent? Ever hiked the PCT?

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Theo,
I've done it all is a pretty bold statement. Have you ever lived full-time in a motorhome? Have you ever taken a fifth wheel to Arizona for the winter? Ever been a backcountry ranger for a summer in a wall tent? Ever hiked the PCT?
I'm a pretty bold guy. I've also never been to the moon, never been to the top of Mt. Everest, never been killed and I'm sure a few others things that have slipped my mind. Duuddee!! Don't take things so literal. Peace out!

alex k

i have a teardrop trailer with none of the big camper frills . just like tenting with the outside camp stove , but i'm not on the ground and have warm dry place to sleep .

wvbreamfisherman

i have a teardrop trailer with none of the big camper frills . just like tenting with the outside camp stove , but i'm not on the ground and have warm dry place to sleep .
I've pretty well got all the plans done for the modified teardrop trailer I'm planning to build. Hopefully I can shake loose the funds to do it for my winter project.

If I only didn't need the food and heat.....

ROENIGK

My parents camped in tents for years with ZERO problems. Now that they are retired and have some cash they bought a 32 foot fifth wheel and a Chevy 3/4 ton duramax diesel. They see no need to sleep on an air mattress when they have done so for 40 years. They call it camping but really its like a mini hotel room. If you have kids tents can be a pain in the rear but, it's all about the experience you want to have.

BigSur

Having done both, I can honestly say I prefer a camper. Only because mosquitoes at night are a pain in the butt. Also, I feel much safer if there is a bear or something.

Campfire Girl

Right now I wouldn't trade in my tent for anything. But in a few years I might change my mind. Roenigk, I have two small children and they enjoy camping and we enjoy camping with them.