Camping At Wal*Mart

Tubby

Well, I have seen several large RVs staying overnight at our local Wal*Mart lately. I have to admit, I have occasionally stopped and camped at a Truck Stop every now and then but honestly, I never thought about stopping at a Wal*Mart. It's probably quieter in their parking lot than it is at a truck stop.

T

tentrus

I don't see a problem with it. Are they 24 hour Wal-Marts? Perhaps they want to be able to use the bathroom in the store. When we got tired and we were driving we parked in a grocery store parking lot, just figured it was safer.

Grandpa

Someone feel free to jog my memory but I think this topic came up earlier and as I recall, someone had a reference to Walmart inviting RV'ers to feel free to use their parking lots overnight. Sort of a public service to help travelers get off the roads and park in a safe place with security cameras on them.

Roy

Most Walmarts have no problem with RV's staying overnight but there are some that have "no overnight RV parking" signs posted. A lot of times there are town ordinances that prohibit you from staying and it's a police man who will kick you out and not Walmart.

Chances are if you park at at 24 hour Walmart and are out of the way, nobody is going to say anything. It's also nice to be able to use their bathrooms and buy snacks.

Hector

I've stopped overnight in Walmart before when I've been traveling in my van. I alerted the manager and she said it was no problem for one night. Saved me money on a hotel and Walmart got my business since I bought some food there. It was much quieter than trying to stay at the Flying J!

elizabeth

I thought the idea was ridiculous at first but it's very common. Because Walmart has given permission as long as trash is picked up the local police do patrols and keep an eye on things.

Wild Rose

I try to avoid truck stops, at night, so I would never camp out at one. Then again, I camp out in a tent, more than I do an rv.

Shannon

I have certainly seen plenty of RV's in the Walmart parking lot, but I never even considered that they are spending the night. The Walmart's around here are all 24 hours so I doubt anyone would even notice.

Lorax

Some Walmarts have electric hook ups on the light poles in the outer edge of their parking lots to accommodate campers.

Camoguy

That's interesting. I would say they make a bit of money off of the people who camp there. I'm sure they go in and replenish supplies before they take off. It's nice to use the bathrooms and save room in the tank too.

campchef

We were "camping" at the Wal-Mart In Roswell, NM and got blasted awake at 2:00 AM - forgot it was black Friday. We about could not get the camper out the next morning. We got some good deals and Wal-Mart said we could stay. We even have an atlas with all the Wal-Marts listed. We do this when we are rushing to the place we are really going to camp.

alex k

off the subject but...........
remember late sept camping with the kids years ago . did christmas decoration shopping at wallmart .
had to share the bed because we bought so much .
i know better now .