Camping gear that you'd like to have, but that no one seems to make?

stm1957

NotMy1stRodeo
Have you ever wanted a particular piece or type of camping equipment, and after exhaustive searching realized that no one makes it, or else they stopped making it and it's no longer available?

For me, the first thing on my list is a purpose built cook-tent.

Currently we use a Cabela's Alaskan Guide Gazebo (now called a "shelter") and while it has served us well, it is starting to show definite signs that it won't last much longer.

Now I know that many have canvas wall tents that they use for this purpose, but after years of hunt camp experience with them, I feel they have issues: Bulkiness(especially with a pole kit), weight, lack of true waterproof-ness (especially over time), lack of true wind shedding ability ( leading to lack of stability, fabric noise, and seams being over-stressed), usually lack of windows and lack of bug screens, tenancy to retain odors, and prone to mildew, even when put away "dry".

Others use some form of "easy-up" (not commercial party tents) often with side walls, but again not ideal:
The truly portable ones are not very durable fabric-wise, too many "movable parts" to break, or malfunction. and major stability issues in high winds.

I want some kind of double wall tent similar to a large "Artic Oven", without a floor, not made of canvas, with more adjustable ventilation... hopefully with at least a few good sized windows... Oh, and of course a stove jack. (And not costing ~$2.5K )

So what would be on your list?

Grandpa

Backpacking is a family tradition with us. We start our young early, during the summer of their first year. We would like to find a lightweight, collapsible play pen for the babes to shelter up in while moms and dads get camp set up. We have contacted a couple of manufacturers but haven't even received a reply.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I'd like a battery powered air conditioner about the size of a motorcycle battery I could use on hot summer nights in a two man tent. I'd like to be able to slip it into my backpack and lay a solar panel outside the pack during the day as I hike that would recharge it as I meander through the day.

Hey, you asked.

Cappy

Being an ole country boy and a simple camper I am amazed at whats out there and have not or will ever even stratched the surface of available gimics. Guess its good for me in a way. I am as bout as far from a camping geek as ya can get and have never dreamed up something I need with out being able to buy it or do it my self. When I am down here in the heat wanting to go camping and cant stand the heat I head for the smokeys. Rule fo thumb is what ever the temp is at the Atlanta airport head to Helen and walk off down a creek bank into the national forest its 20 to 25 degrees cooler. Das my AC. When we usta go campign with my young God sons, we would zip em in the tent with pillows and rolled up sleeping bags. We would safty pin the zipper closed just to be sure. As far as fishing tackle I am a fly fisherman. My first ever canvas pack had a full length pocket on one side for my rod all all my tackle fit in 2 band aid boxes one for flys and one for hook cork and weights for cork fishing. Also I aint ever been out with a group big enough to need a chuck wagon and even now that I got a camper with a well equipped galley I still find my self doing all my cooking out side.

ppine

Forester
I wish for nothing. In fact "camping equipment" is getting too fancy, complicated, and battery operated. I would like to see some of the old stuff made again.

Batteries have no place in the outdoors except for long-term living conditions like geologists or other scientific pursuits.

ppine

Forester
A canvas or plastic collapsible bucket works fine for laundry. Just keep the soap out of lakes and streams.

One of the joys of backpacking when I was young, was hiking with cute girls that like to take their clothes off when it rained. We have discussed before the fun of hiking without clothes.

Last edited:

stm1957

NotMy1stRodeo
Sometimes you just have to make your own

About 4 yrs. ago I looked everywhere for propose built camping "grub boxes".... The ones I could find online really didn't hold the types of things that are in our kitchen kit and most had little or no provision for carrying food stuffs.

So I designed and built the "ultimate grub boxes".... Did I go overboard? Well of course, but they are far better than anything I could buy.

HighOutdoors

I wish for nothing. In fact "camping equipment" is getting too fancy, complicated, and battery operated. I would like to see some of the old stuff made again.

Batteries have no place in the outdoors except for long-term living conditions like geologists or other scientific pursuits.
Your saying you don't use flashlights/headlamps when camping or hiking? Other than that I almost agree. Only other things I can think of are maybe a weather band radio , GPS, watch, and camera. All are luxuries to a cerian extent but in some cases almost essential and all very usefull. I never go to the bush without my headlamp, its just such an great thing to have when you need it.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
High,
Battery powered lights are great, especially LED headlamps. They add to the experience by making tasks at night much easier. I rarely if ever bring a radio, GPS or a watch. A camera is fine as long as it is small and fast. I used to be into photography, and realized that I was looking at the world a lot of the time thru a lense. These are just my personal views. Adding all of that technology disconnects people from the outdoor re-creation that have travelled so long and far to experience.

A word about lights. It is very rude to walk up to a person at night with your headlamp on. Use them for task lighting and them turn them off. Unless there is no moon in the deep woods, there is little need for a lantern. Some people now seem to think that one coleman lantern is not enough. Their kids have laser beams in the trees. They like to turn on their vehicle lights for task lighting. Yikes.

HighOutdoors

Totally agree about the looking through the lense, we have built in camera's and hard drives.;-) Its a balancing act between needs and luxuries, a lot like everyday life and the ways we choose to use our resources. Thanks for the input, much appreciated. Take care ppine!

dinosaur

troublemaker
Oh, I just had another idea. How about a portable teleportation device that would take me to the nearest pizza parlor so I could get a pizza or a calzone and shoot back to the campsite?