Camping Stuff On Sale?

hummingbird

While I've been out and about in the stores, I've been browsing in the camping area. I've seen some stuff on sale and haven't yet taken advantage of them because we are pretty good on camping supplies. Be on the lookout for bargains though, this is the time of the year when they put camping supplies on sale!

Grandpa

KNOW YOUR VALUES I get sale ads via email all the time. Sounds good but if you watch, the same outlet has the same price before during and after the sale. I recently got a subscriber only ad from an online retailer that also has a brick and mortar store through a town I just passed through. So I clipped the coupon, walked into the store rather than ordering on line. Lo and behold, my "special price" was marked on the box for anyone who walked in, coupon or not.

My experience says check the manufacturers suggested retail price, deduct 20 % as a starting figure, then start looking for better savings than that. A 30 % savings off the MSR price should be out there somewhere. THERE IS NO outlet that is consistantly lower in price. (I know you all have your favorite place to shop and buy but take it from this skinflint, there are better places if you look) The biggest consideration before purchase is the STORE warranty. Most reputable manufacturers have a good warranty but it entails shipping, waiting, and paperwork hassles. Some outlets (REI, etc) have their own "no questions" warranty and take care of mfg hassles for you. This is BIG on major purchases, avoiding delays and other nonsense. It is often worth more than a 10 % or more savings for this kind of service.

Yab9

I also have almost everything I need but when I see things on sale I always check them out, you never know what goodies you can find. I got a lot of my equipment on sale over the years, why pay more when you can get it for less ? :)

shaun

Much of the camping-related products on sale are poor quality. They have a load of stock they can't get rid of because it is poor-quality so they offer the products on sale. There are some good deals on offer if you look around, though.

familytents

KNOW YOUR VALUES I get sale ads via email all the time. Sounds good but if you watch, the same outlet has the same price before during and after the sale. I recently got a subscriber only ad from an online retailer that also has a brick and mortar store through a town I just passed through. So I clipped the coupon, walked into the store rather than ordering on line. Lo and behold, my "special price" was marked on the box for anyone who walked in, coupon or not.

My experience says check the manufacturers suggested retail price, deduct 20 % as a starting figure, then start looking for better savings than that. A 30 % savings off the MSR price should be out there somewhere. THERE IS NO outlet that is consistantly lower in price. (I know you all have your favorite place to shop and buy but take it from this skinflint, there are better places if you look) The biggest consideration before purchase is the STORE warranty. Most reputable manufacturers have a good warranty but it entails shipping, waiting, and paperwork hassles. Some outlets (REI, etc) have their own "no questions" warranty and take care of mfg hassles for you. This is BIG on major purchases, avoiding delays and other nonsense. It is often worth more than a 10 % or more savings for this kind of service.
Good advises Grandpa! I learned a lot from this post. I'll put it to use. I agree with Shaun too. Usually things on sale are items, no one wanted to begin with because of poor quality, anyway. But I'm sure you can find a few diamonds in the rough, no harm in shopping around.

campclose

I have seen a ton of sales too and I don't think they are poor quality. I think the stores are just trying to get rid of their stock so they don't have to store it until next season.

Hirsch

I find by generally ignoring sales I tend not to buy things I ordinarily would not buy, but would be tempted because they are a "deal".

Cappy

What I do is keep a wish list in my wallet with what it normaly cost. While wandering Cabellas bargain corner, or academy's sale rack or online sites when I come across one of my wish items I consult the list. Just because something says tis discounted don't mean it is. This works for me and I ocasionaly get a good deal. I'm pretty good at avoiding impulses course not perfect, who is.