Camping to treat depression

sailorman

I was reading that a person who spends more than 3 days in the woods, or camping in general, is found to have lower levels of stress hormones in their body. It also said that regular camping lowers the rate of depression, do you agree?

Ranger

Well, I was burnt-out one time and my stress level was way too high. I took two days off work and went into the beach and did what I liked best, collecting shells. I was really immersed in my activity and at the end of the second day, my mind was refreshed and reinvigorated and I felt ready to face any challenge again. So I think going out with nature, either by camping or sailing or any outdoor activity has a healing effect on our mind.

Michael

I read a paper that suggested that hanging out in the woods without your electronic gadgets for three days noticeably destresses people. Several of the people involved were convinced this wasn't the case, but at the end of a few days they all agreed that they felt better.

oldsarge

I think any time you get away from the "norm", it's a stress reliever. I know when I'm out in the woods I feel much better.

Camoguy

I would agree. I think we are too technological at times. With all of the different phones and emails coming in, I feel barraged sometimes. It's a relief to get away from them for a while.

campclose

:) Yes 100% ~ how could you not be less depressed when you are camping? You are out and about and you don't have to worry about your job, bills, etc. I think camping is a "happy place" for everyone.

Bosco

I would totally agree that camping reduces stress, and depression as well. No electronics, no phone calls, simple lifestyle with only simple decisions to make. Lots of time to just read, relax, explore, talk with friends....Sleep ! I have not been in WAY too long, but am going in July and I can't wait.

ChadTower

Man, Bosco must camp with more active people than I've been with. On most trips I end up doing most of the work because everybody else is 6 beers in and keeping their chair secure on the ground.

Bosco

Man, Bosco must camp with more active people than I've been with. On most trips I end up doing most of the work because everybody else is 6 beers in and keeping their chair secure on the ground.
lol...yeah, it depends on who I'm camping with ! My ususal camp-buddy and I are pretty content to sit in a chair and read most of the day, with the beer drinking commencing when ever one of us happens to think about it. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

Otherwise, I'm with 2 or 3 other families with kids, and it is general mayhem. I disappear a lot..... ;)

Bosco

You know, now that I have a trip planned in July, and have told my kids about it.....I'm already feeling less depressed ! Evidently, I have been long overdue for this.....who knew ? :D

Gondor

There's an interesting topic to talk about. I'm sure that nature cures depression and I can't say that I know a doctor that recommends this to people as a regular therapy.

Bosco

Yeah, it's kind of ironic that most people with depression want only to hide and isolate themselves, when getting up and out is likely the best thing for them. Been there. Have never really considered camping as a possible cure, but it makes sense. Being in a place that inspires you, no big decisions to make, no stress, no agenda except to rest and enjoy God's creation. Medication can help with the brain chemistry, but changing your surroundings and outlook can make a big difference. Will have to test the theory soon...;)