Camping with a quad

Grady

We were thinking about getting a quad to take camping with us. Does anyone here do that? Is it convenient or is it a pain to have to worry about the ATV on top of everything else associated with camping?

campclose

We have never taken any of our 4-wheelers with us camping. They probably would not allow us to anyway. I know a lot of people have golf carts that they use (usually they are seasonal campers).

GPER

My problem is finding a place that I can camp and ride. the place we ride is building a camp ground so my daughter and I will be spending the weekends. It will be fun camping and riding all of my gear will fit on the trailer with the Ranger.

MR "T"

IF i go in the woods, I take the Quad! It may save your life! IT may just sit there!
But, why not take it?

annniez56

Quad

We take ours when we go to our place in Missouri as we have lots of places to ride there. It is kind of a pain as hubby has to load them on his rollback and bring them to us but it is worth it :) We never take them to parks with us.

outdoorlover001

i perfer my 68 bettle baja that i have built for off road.i 'm getting older and like to get out of the weather. if i need to i can sleep in it(the seats fold down) plus it is street legal so if i need to go get something i can plus it is legal for camp grounds. see my previous threads about ths. consider the baja to be a win win situation plus i have less money in it that what a new quad would cost. not knocking quads, just my preference and putting the information out there.

GPER

Buggys are nice but that would lead to the problems that I have. We have trails in the forests around Ohio, but they have a 50 inch wide rule. That leaves the CJ and the Polaris Ranger out, so pay to play parks are it. There are trails that you need to be tagged and insured. They are mostly in KY and that is getting too far to drive anymore.

Last edited:

oldsarge

I Alaska we take two 6x6 Polaris ATV's up in the mountains and spend time up there. I really like it after spending 11 years in the infantry carrying my house on my back. We can take a ton of stuff with us and not have to worry. There are the chances of a break down and having to tow one of the other ATV's back in, but what are the odds of both breaking down. if they do...it's just that much more of an adventure.

Zack

I always take my four wheeler when I go camping. Shoot, that's half the fun. Just fishing and sitting 'round the campfire all day would make for a boring day, IMO. Quads are what make the camping trip fun. But only if they're allowed!

Valdaree

I have to admit that it sounds like great fun. The only time I drove a Quad was in Portugal on holiday when we hired one for the day to go out and about in the mountains and I really enjoyed it.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
If you know nothing about fixing a quad or what's needed to make in the field repairs then I suggest buying a cheap craigs list 4x4 (fourwheel drive fourwheeler) and keeping it for a summer driving it and getting used to getting flat tires and what not.

Then the next year take it out camping after you have built up your 'handyman' skills. Quads are great tools to take with you and make carrying equipment very easy.

Bojib

I use my quad to go camping pretty often. There are several riding areas near me, and they all have camp grounds. Also, around my parents house I can load up the ATV with camping gear, and just head out and camp in the forest wherever I please.

If at a campground, camping is fairly easy. It's just car camping and you happen to have an ATV along for the ride. So, hauling the gear to camp isn't as much of an issue.

Taking the ATV into the wilderness is a little different. Takes a little more planning, and probably a little different equipment. I've found that using gear designed for backpacking actually works great for ATV camping. Space is a little bit of an issue. I have a sleeping bag that packs up smaller, a one man tent (only one of me fit on the quad anyway), a single burner stove, and smaller cookware.

It doesn't hurt to have some mechanical skills (and tools) while on the trail too. There have been a few times we've had to make minor repairs to machines while out and about.

abmac

I'd check in advance to see if the places you want to go allow for them and what the requirements are. Then you know you will be able to go and have fun. happy trails.

campclose

Not here - we don't take our ATV with us. Most of the campgrounds near us won't let you bring an ATV anyway. I guess if you were camping in the wilderness it might be something you would like to take.

rockin

No need here either to take a 4-Wheeler with us camping. We only camp at campgrounds though. The ones we go to will allow you to have a golf cart but no ATV.