Camping with an infant

southerngal

My husband and I are avid campers and we recently had our first child. Any suggestions for things we need to take with us for her that we might not of thought of yet?

atula

Everything....! Oh yes...with an infant you really cannot take chances....from bottle to diaper to feeding mugs, enough filtered and boiled water...medicines...shoes, socks, infant wear lots, there are so many thing that comes to mind....What I did was before the trip started making a list while doing the every day chores and writing down the things i used every day with my then infant son....this list helps when you are sure to miss something important....

justontime

I have not camped with a young baby but my friends did, the amount of stuff they took was huge, you can't take chances with young babies everything has to be kept clean and you have to be careful that they do not get too hot or too cold.

HereToday

Remember to take some netting to put over the crib, to keep out insects, and something you can use to shade the baby when you are in direct sunlight; I'd also take twice the formula (if you bottle-feed), sterile water, diapers, and whatever is necessary for the baby, just in case you are stranded...
Congratulations on your new baby!

deltic

If you are likely to need shade for the baby be sure you have something that will really shade the sun's rays. When my sun was a baby he got slight sun burn through one of those half tent shade things that are designed to protect babies. After that we covered it with a large thick towel and that worked well.

katharina

My husband and I are avid campers and we recently had our first child. Any suggestions for things we need to take with us for her that we might not of thought of yet?
Congratulations to you on the birth! How old will the baby be the first time you take her with you?

As for what to take... most of the essentials were already listed here. I'd definitely ask her pediatrician about the best sun screen for her delicate skin, if there is any that's safe for infants.

donkeypunch85

We just take our diaper bag and an extra blanket, maybe one toy, sunscreen, bugspray. Nothing major like bouncers or anything.

justontime

We just take our diaper bag and an extra blanket, maybe one toy, sunscreen, bugspray. Nothing major like bouncers or anything.
What you need really depends on where you are going and for how long, and on the climate of course. We had a fold up carry cot that was really useful and not too bulky to carry.

atula

with a baby you really cannot take chances..with each trip I usually have learnt there are certain things he always need wherever we go and some that can be left behind...if you travelling during the winter months the things double because of the added blankets, warm clothes etc...but yes...you have to take everything even if it means a heavy bag...

Sierra

I am expecting at the end of the month and my husband and I were talking about taking a camping trip in October. That would make the baby, oh, about 4 months old when we go. We are considering taking a pop up camper to make life a little easier. I know to some that might defeat the purpose of "roughing it," but I think it would help me to feel less frazzled our first time out in the woods with the baby.

justontime

I am expecting at the end of the month and my husband and I were talking about taking a camping trip in October. That would make the baby, oh, about 4 months old when we go. We are considering taking a pop up camper to make life a little easier. I know to some that might defeat the purpose of "roughing it," but I think it would help me to feel less frazzled our first time out in the woods with the baby.
That sounds like a very good idea. I think I said before, this is meant to be fun and enjoyable not an endurance test. I hope you have a wonderful time with your baby.