Camping with Eggs

JollyRogers

I don't normally carry eggs because of their fragility. However, eggs keep well at room/ambient temperatures as long as the remain in the shell for about 3-5 weeks. If they are farm fresh and haven't been washed they may last even longer. If you really want eggs to last, put them in a jar of water and they can last as much as 7-9 months. Store bought eggs kept in the fridge can last 3-5 months.

The bloom is what protects them and keeps them from spoiling. This is a coating on the egg that will wash off but will not wipe off. Most farm fresh eggs are wiped, not washed. Once you wash them or crack the shell, the clock starts ticking. Keeping them cool and in the shell will slow the clock and extend the time you have to safely consume them but the clock ticks nonetheless.

I would think one of the plastic egg totes would do well at keeping your eggs protected so that you could enjoy them on the trail several mornings.

I have heard of people packing eggs inside of a roll of paper towels or TP tissue. They just put paper between the eggs and slip them inside of the cardboard tube, then plug the ends of the tube.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
I'm not a big fan of salmonella so I usually don't take eggs with me on long trips, but for when they get prepared on the first day, I got a hard plastic egg holder that will keep them from breaking.
Salmonella? You 9\10 times WONT get that from raw egg... Ever eat cookie dough as a child? :p. When I go to a campground or have easy quick access to my sedan I will bring my Engel cooler, it's probably the most useful thing I have ever spent 800$'s on. Normally I'll place my meats, eggs, milk in there and be set for the weekend (4day) trip or so. Never had a problem with animals and its a great place to sit when you're bushed!
http://www.12volt-travel.com/tri-voltage-110v-ac-24-or-12v-dc-refrigerator-freezer-22-qt-p-7601.html

We also use one of those egg holders mentioned multiple times in this thread. I don't take it when its just me because I have no need for 12eggs on a 3\4day trek.

I don't bring it when I'm backpacking, when I go out using my legs I bring canned food. Beans, fruit, chilly, stuff like that. MUCH easier to keep a few cans on me and a can opener than to hike around with a battery and a cooler!

Last edited:

Judy Ann

I don't normally carry eggs because of their fragility. However, eggs keep well at room/ambient temperatures as long as the remain in the shell for about 3-5 weeks. If they are farm fresh and haven't been washed they may last even longer. If you really want eggs to last, put them in a jar of water and they can last as much as 7-9 months. Store bought eggs kept in the fridge can last 3-5 months.
Interesting, however I'm not about to personally check this one out!:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Hardboiled. Good for when I'm too lazy to cook anything else.

OutdoorsGirl

I was told that farm fresh eggs last longer. They don't last that long in my house. I have a hard plastic container for taking eggs camping. We store them in the cooler with the meat. As far as salmonella, I know people who eat raw eggs and have never had an issue.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Man that thing is expensive! Why not an inverter and a cube fridge? Same thing, roughly the same current draw, 1/4 the cost.
Not even close, a small dorm fridge pulls close to 20amps when the compressor\fan\pump start running, a inverter is at most 95% efficient and that is $$$$ to get in to. So to take 12V to 110V and run something through a inverter is a big waste of money.

Where, spending 800$'s once and being able to use it wherever there is a vehicle and only draw 3amps all day long is much more preferable in my eye. That and the cube fridge isn't really made to be portable so travel on back roads would drastically shorten its life.

ChadTower

I'd have to see proof the peak is as high as 20A. I ran one of those on a 15 amp circuit for years with other stuff and never once flipped the breaker. Specs on a common cube Kenmore I checked before posting that listed 0.95 as the average where the draw on the one you posted is listed as "0.6 - 2.3". May run off a lower peak but overall consumption sure looks like it would be around the same.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
I'd have to see proof the peak is as high as 20A. I ran one of those on a 15 amp circuit for years with other stuff and never once flipped the breaker. Specs on a common cube Kenmore I checked before posting that listed 0.95 as the average where the draw on the one you posted is listed as "0.6 - 2.3". May run off a lower peak but overall consumption sure looks like it would be around the same.
Ahhh I was wrong. A Dorm fridge at lowes is rated at 1amp at 110V, that's still over 110watts.
Shop Haier 3.2 Cu. Ft. Compact Refrigerator (Color: White) at Lowes.com

And it will use more than 1amp at start up, that's the nature of electric motors. In any case its not designed to be used out camping, nor be used for constant travel.

In my mind less is better for packing, 1 cooler as apposed to, 1cooler, 1 converter, 1tangle of wires. In my opinion.

EyeOfThePark

I'm not a big fan of eggs in general, so obviously I've never taken any eggs in my camping trips. It's interesting to read how many problems may occur with this type of food. I've never given it much thought so far...