Camping with TV?

RingTwist

A friend of mine went camping last weekend. I guess her idea of camping is renting a camper so she has a bed and a kitchen, with electric hookup so she can watch TV. I find this concept odd.

Do you ever watch TV or have other luxuries while camping?

Grandpa

I find very little enjoyment out of TV at home, let alone camping. I do miss my computer but not enough to take one along when we are out. No, for me the sounds of the outdoors supercedes that of electronic music, radio, or any other device other than my SPOT for emergency purposes.

bsmit212

The most I will using as far as electornics goes is a set of speakers when car camping. Having no TV is one of the things I enjoy about camping

oldsarge

My whole purpose of camping is to get away from the every day norm, TV, radio, yard work and anything else that gets on my nerves.

ppine

Forester
We can all agree that being unplugged is one of the great benefits of camping. But after about 2-3 weeks it is great to watch the news or see a football game. That is why people that spend a lot of time on the road in 5th wheels and motorhomes often have tvs.

Last edited:

Judy Ann

I was on a backpacking trip with someone in the movie undustry and he would download movies to his I-pod to watch at night. I have downloaded books to a nook or to a phone to read in the evenings when the sun sets before 6pm. I'm not ready to go to sleep that early!

TroyS

We do most of our camping in our Motorhome. Yes, a lot of people may not really consider it as camping because of the presence of a lot of gadgets and electric stuff. But when the summer months come, the A/C in it makes things a lot more bearable, especially for the kids. It also allows us to spend time out longer since I can do a bit of the work while on the campground.

Hikenhunter

When we car camp we often bring a portable DVD player along. It only comes out if we have alot of rain and we are tent bound. Mostly it is to help my grandchildren fill in their time during bad weather, but only after all other activities have been exhausted.

Scotty

I have to agree, I don't like to bring anything except my cell phone and a good book. If I get tent bound for a day of rain, I just read. I really go camping to get away from all of the stresses of everyday life. I don't watch much TV either but I do enjoy a good movie at home.

Yab9

Camping has different meanings for different persons. I prefer to camp like cave people, that's what camping is to me. No TV, no notebook, no nothing. Except my cell phone, of course, if something should happen I must have my phone with me to get help. Other than that camping is a way for me to get away from civilization and relax.

Esperahol

I have my mp3 player and that works well enough for me. I don't really like television because... there is nothing to watch and even that is eaten into by commericals. My player gets radio and plays video so I'm pretty well covered.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have a TV/DVD player in my camp cabin. I've had it for years. I turn it on once in a while to see if it still works. I'm looking forward to using it someday to entertain my granddaughters.

shaun

It is an odd 'concept'. The point in camping is to get away from the modern world and enjoy nature. Most people watch far too much TV, having a break from it would do them good. I would never take a TV on a camping trip.

CozInCowtown

We 5th wheel camp but it is my hard fast rule no TV or any other electronic devices like games, radios or phones.
The camper is generally a place to sleep if we don't pitch a tent, a trailer to haul stuff and a dry spot if rain sets in.
JMO,
DC

JeepThrills

We have a combination television, radio, emergency light that is part of a Jeep package. The television screen is tiny, but I kind of liked having it to catch the news. Unfortunately, it needs one of those television converters and I haven't bought it yet.

Bojib

I don't really see anything wrong with watching a little bit of TV while out camping, if you have access to such amenities.

If it's what you spend the whole trip doing, then maybe camping isn't your cup of tea. I'd rather those people go ahead and sit inside and watch TV instead of sit outside were I can hear them complain about it.

Myself, I'm still tent camping. I can't get lucky enough to ever afford a camper, or something durable enough to haul one with. So, I don't have TV while camping. If I had a camper with a TV, I'd probably watch it in the evenings, just before I go to bed. That's basically how I use it at home, I don't watch it very often, except just before I go to bed.

Maybe some of the difference is that I live in the middle of nowhere as it is. I spend a lot of time sitting on the porch watching all different sorts of wildlife. So when I go anywhere, even a campground, it's going to be more urban an environment than I live in during my everyday life.

ejdixon

Once in a while whenever I go out camping with my parents (they have a Motorhome with all the trimmings), especially when we get word of some pretty alarming news.

I agree with Bojib. Nothing wrong with watching a bit of TV once in a while while camping is not bad if it is available. Just as long as it is not the only thing that you do.

Marshmallow

We don't take a television along when we camp or even when we're on vacation in a hotel or cottage. Even though there is one there most of the time in rental rooms, we don't turn them on. There's too much to do.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I copy movies to my iPhone so I can watch something at night if I'm having trouble falling asleep, but it's not usually necessary. I can't imagine bringing a TV along or having one to watch in a camper. Part of the fun of getting away is being AWAY!

I did remember reading about a couple of AT hikers that came out of the woods around September 15, 2001, to a big shock. So being too unplugged may be bad...