Can you camp in the Grand Canyon?

Grandpa

Grandpa - GREAT pics! I would love some pics like those to add to MY photo album!

CozInCowtown - Good advice about mtn climbing vs canyon climbing. I had never thought of it that way, but you're right - they are opposites.

Of all the camping we've done over the years, I can't believe it's never occurred to us to go camping in the Grand Canyon. Now that I've seen this thread and read a bit about it, I'm psyched and ready to go! (Other than the fact that we're not even on the waiting list, yet, lol.) When is the best time of year to camp in the Grand Canyon?
We had water every night but one on the Grandview to So Kaibab stretch in April. This spring, water could be really scarce but that is up to the Rangers to tell you.

Georgia, if you like those pics, check out my Wanderings album.

CaliRockJumper

totally awesome pictures and info!

we almost drove to the grand canyon from lake havasu, but never made the trip. now that i know you can camp there, it makes it a *must see* for me in the near future.

ejdixon

Great pics Grandpa! We'll probably try out that mule trail the next time that we head over there to the Grand Canyon.

firedancer

As others have mentioned, lots of options for camping in the canyon - plenty of backpacking routes, plus Phantom Ranch (Camping or dorms) and Indian Gardens which is about 1/2 down the canyon.

Indian Gardens

You do have to plan WAY ahead - when we went, I had a sneaking (and accurate!) suspicion not all of my friends would take the training seriously, so I booked a campsite at the bottom and one at Indian Gardens - that worked out perfectly - we only did the 5 mile in and 5 mile out hike (didn't make it to the bottom) and gave up our Bright Angel campsite so someone else could use it!

From Indian Gardens, you can do another 3 mile r/t hike to Plateau Point for sunset - we took our stove and dinner and had a great time, then hiked back to our campsite in the dark.

ppine

Forester
I have hiked up Havasu Creek from the river to see the first set of waterfalls. One of the great trips is to hike in from the top to Havasu Falls and stay with the Tribe. It takes a permit, but there are pack animals to haul your pack if you want. A friend of mine stayed there in about 1953, the Indians rented him an old miner's shack for 50 cents a night.