Canned bacon

Marshmallow

We used to be able to buy bacon in a can and store it for quite awhile before we opened it. It didn't need refrigeration, and it cooked up pretty well for meat out of a can. I've not been able to find it this summer. I also don't remember the name of the brand. Does anyone else use canned bacon?

Eaglescout 49

Hi --

Several brands of canned bacon are available on the Internet. The best-known is probably YODER'S. It's pretty good, but since I only car camp these days, I'd just as soon bring thick-sliced bacon in the cooler. You can find it on Amazon or by Googling Yoder's bacon.

Bon appetit!

Yab9

Canned bacon is yummy. I usually find it at local stores, but I have to walk a bit to get it. It is either finished quickly, or no one really buys it anymore, or at least it doesn't sell like it used to.

Last edited:

wvbreamfisherman

No local stores here seem to stock it, but I like to keep a couple cans around for emergencies.

Besides- there aren't many dishes that can't be improved with the addition of a little (or a lof of) bacon!

shaun

I wouldn't dare eat canned bacon, the mere thought of it disturbs me. Bacon should not come from a can! I would rather make my own smoked, dry-cured bacon jerky than use bacon from a can.

wvbreamfisherman

Well they do (or did, anyhow) make bacon-flavored Spam, which really didn't taste much like bacon.

I'll admit, I kinda like Spam. You can do a lot with it and not break the bank.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Yes, I've enjoyed YODER'S pre-cooked bacon from a can. Was quite tasty. Just be careful opening the can, as you will find that the grease is all in one end of the can, which can be a bit messy.

I think I got it from Emergency Essentials, which has a very interesting catalog.

I think the idea of tasty canned bacon has its place, though, whether camping or at home. Much better tasting than the unrefrigerated cartons of pre-cooked bacon in the supermarkets.

Greatoutdoors

I haven't seen it in any local stores, but I have seen it on the Mountain House site. I even ran across some on the Amazon site the other day.

Boboque

I didn't know such a thing as bacon in a can existed. I'll have to look for it and check it out. I LOVE spam by the way and eat it at least once a week. I like SPAM or Treet cut up and fried with eggs. Yum!

carmen

I have never caught it in a store after a friend mentioned it but Amazon tends to have everything. I was amazed when I found out they sold food on the place. I have caught a few other canned goods too but sometimes I just have a feeling its going to taste bad.

mamabear

What about the precooked bacon in a package that's now available. Although I do refrigerate it, I don't think it's necessary. I have a hard time thinking about bacon in a can.

wvbreamfisherman

The precooked bacon is ummm edible. It's had all the taste processed out of it. It's Ok to add to dried eggs and dried onions and peppers and dehydrated cheese to make a camp omelette, but not really all that good.

The canned bacon is actually pretty good.