Catching Little Ones

SallyA

I love to sit along a creek bank and fish, but it seems like I hardly ever catch anything that's big enough to keep. I use worms and just throw my line in. What can I do to catch ones I can take home and eat?

peanut

Use the little ones as bait! That's what I would do. :) Many times it's just luck of the draw. I know there have been times when I've caught nothing and times when I've caught nice ones!

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Depending on the species you may have to head for deeper water to land the bigger ones. A big lake trout for example may be lurking in depths of 60 feet or more. The smaller fish tend to hang out closer to shore under the canopies, around logs and weeds etc.

It really depends on he species though. I have seen some monster sized pikes come out of shallow water.

SallyA

Depending on the species you may have to head for deeper water to land the bigger ones.
That's probably it! I'm fishing along the bank in shallow water. I'll have to try to find deeper water! What about in creeks that aren't that deep? To get the bigger fish, would you need to go out to the middle where it's deeper?

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Not necessarily. In creeks and streams you may not find them all that large, but try in the deeper eddies and still water sections. You can often find them closer to shore. I like to cast upstream and let the bait follow the natural flow. The fish will often face up stream and wait for food to float past them, and then they gobble it up. I have found underwater "caves" or spots where there is natural shelter to be productive for the larger fish when it comes to streams and creeks.

One thing I have learned when it comes to stream fishing - especially for trout, you have to be pretty stealthy and sneak up cautiously to your spots. The fish can see you or your shadow approaching and they will scatter. In smaller waterways where predation by bears, birds, and other critters is more of a factor, the fish tend to be very skittish.

I have much better luck in lakes then in streams. It helps to know what the fish are eating at that time of year and try to either catch some of those bugs, or use a bait that comes close to replicating the size and color of the current bug supply. It will vary at different times of the year for the same locations.

I am speaking mainly of trout as that is what we have in abundance around here - and salmon. Not sure about Bass or other species common in the US as I don't do much bass fishing.

I have also found that where a stream or river empties into a lake to be good fishing too. Particularly if there are underwater shelves near the opening. Get out there in the wee hours of the morning and catch your fill.

SallyA

Thanks, northernbushape! You told me a bunch of things that I didn't know. I'm probably going to sound fishing-dumb, but I didn't know to cast my line upstream and let it float down or to sneak up to my spot. I did know that you don't want the fish to see you or your shadow, so I should have thought of that.

I have always heard that the wee hours of the morning is a very good time to fish, especially during the summer when it's hot later in the day. I hope I can talk my husband into going soon. I can't wait to use the information!