Cell Phones at the Camp Site

OutdoorMomma

I know it's the age of technology, but are some people taking it too far? The last time we went camping, it was at a horse camp with my cousins. Camping is supposed to get you back to nature, or at least that was what I was always told. It didn't dawn on me until a few days ago that half of the time, at least half of us were on our smart phones and we even had a tablet and wifi for the kids at night. I think next time we go, the phones will be staying in the car.

Treehugger

I’m with you, Momma -- “Age of Technology” be doggoned! We go camping and involve ourselves in outdoor activities to get away from all that stuff. Next time, go to Camp No-Electric -- anywhere that electronics can’t be plugged in. Pick a place so remote that cell phones can’t receive signals, either! Take some board games and playing cards with you instead.

Last edited:

BigSur

Yes, I can actually relate to this. Last time we went hiking, my friend was on her phone texting her other friend. I was like, "C'mon man! It's beautiful out here, let's enjoy it!"

AK Hunter

That is easy camp far enough out that cell phones don't work.
I didn't realize that was what I was doing when hunting until I hunted a new place with a buddy & forgot to turn the ringer off.
Sure enough my daughter call me right in the middle of a stalk along a creek bank. My normal hunting spot is far enough out to be out of range from the cell towers.

OutdoorMomma

The campsite we were at didn't have electricity, but there is always a car charger to get around that problem, plus the tablet has a 2 day battery life if it's used properly. I was actually surprised that there was cell reception where we were, it's in the middle of no where! Next time I will have to make sure that there is no cell reception.

RingTwist

Just lock up the electronics. It is hard to put them down, but once you do, you appreciate where you are more. We always lock ours up in the car when we camp.

ppine

Forester
Sometimes the light dawns.
I do not camp or fish with people that insist on using their devices. It is a hard and fast rule.

Last edited:

Grandpa

It is hard enough to get a cell signal around here following the highway and nearly impossible once you get into the canyons. Camping is for meditation, reflection, comraderie, and good food, none of which is enhanced by noses in a cell phone.

I' m convinced the "zombie apocalypse" so prevelent in todays movies and media was inspired by watching a herd of college kids walking around while texting and totally oblivious to anything around them.

Treehugger

I’m very sorry, but the attraction of the whole texting and being joined at the brain to one’s cell phone phenomenon escapes me entirely. My kids and step-kids do it incessantly and it absolutely drives me crazy. I have a pterodactyl cell phone that I use for … wait for it: making and receiving phone calls! I don’t want it to tell me where to go, sing to me, entertain me, befriend me or do the dishes. So I’ll be John Brown if I’m going to take it camping with me!

Bojib

I guess I'm a little more lax in my thinking.

If people want to use their electronics while they are "enjoying" the outdoors, then so be it.

Denni2

Cell service is iffy where we camp, we like it that way. We are both avid readers and to cut down on clutter we read on our gadgets. I love having my books on one light gadget.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I my phone in the woods, I just don't like it as a phone. I love laying down at night and listening to some music under the stars, or if its nasty and rainy and I'm in the hammock at 630pm, I can read a book, watch a movie, or play a game. If someone said I had to "lock up my phone" before heading out, I think I would just hike the other way.
But - I'll give you the "staying connected" thing. I don't need to stay connected. As soon as I hit the trail, the phone goes on "plane mode", and usually its off and stuffed down in the pack in its custom carrying case (made by ziplock). People that text and talk whenever we are on top of a hill sort of drive me nuts, too. We're in the woods overnight, unless your kid is in the hospital or your house is on fire (which you can't do anything about anyway since it is an eight hour hike back), what is so important that it can't wait until we are driving out tomorrow?
My wife wants me to get one of those Delorme InReach things so we can text back and forth. I don't mind the tracking points or the messages from my end. "Reached Camp", or "heading out", or "Send the Choppers!". But dammed if I want her to be able to send the guilt trip messages she usually likes to pull on me. No thanks.

Grandpa

What gets me is when grandma and one of the grandkids are texting back and forth. I've asked her, "why not just call and talk?", but she always has some reason, not wanting to bother me (read not wanting me to hear what she's saying:tinysmile_twink_t2: ) or kid is supposed to be at work :tinysmile_tongue_t: (then why aren't they working) or waiting for another phone call, (well if it don't ring you'll know it is me that is not calling :tinysmile_fatgrin_t).

Treehugger

Oh, texting makes me absolutely nuts, Grandpa! My cell phone is a clamshell type and while capable of sending/receiving texts, isn’t really designed for it. I’m 100% with your “just pick it up and make a call” philosophy. Texting is a waste of my time.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I see it as sort of a 'To each, Thine own'. I do what makes ME happy. And I don't worry too much what others do. I always bring my Kindle but I can't remember the last time I actually read it while camping. But I always have that option.

ppine

Forester
If people are going to "stay in touch" out there with the gadgets there is no re-creation. I think it is a big mistake for people to bring all of their problems with them.
Anyone that needs a device to watch movies, listen to music, and talk with friends is missing the whole point of being out there in the first place. Otherwise it is just your life at home with different scenery.

dinosaur

troublemaker
My rule is turn them off and lock them in the glovebox od the truck.
Mine's a bit different. I turn them off but I take them with me. The charge on a flip phone is usually good for at least ten days without losing enough charge to be functional. But I'm not going to turn it on to do anything but ask for help. This happened to me only once and I was darn glad to have it. It wasn't for me. It was for my daughter and it turned out well.

Use what you have.

Treehugger

You make an excellent and very valid point, Grandpa. I wasn’t thinking about that. I guess I’m so accustomed to having no contact whatsoever with my menfolk when they traipse off to the woods for a weekend. My little pterodactyl flip holds a charge forever, too -- probably because it doesn’t get used much. You’re right, especially where kids are concerned -- you do need a way to contact civilization in case of an emergency.

Barney

Condition under which I'm happy to keep you company in the wild is no phones! In newer areas I do carry a turned off phone just in case we get lost.