Cheap tents

greengrass

Nowadays you can find some really inexpensive tents at places like Walmart or Target. Are these any good? I recently saw a two person sleeper at Target on clearance for $20. It sounds like a good deal but will it hold up?

2coastcamper

The tent I use is an Ozark Trail from Wal-Mart. It was $30, and I got it when I basically had to restock ALL my camping gear in one fell swoop. I couldn't afford to replace everything at once with some of the high-end stuff I lost.

I still use that tent, and it's been just fine. Sure, it leaks just a weeee bit in a good North Carolina downpour, but it's nothing I can't sleep through. And I'm taking a DOWNpour.

I keep looking at high-end tents from brands like REI, Kelty, Big Agnes, Bibler and Mountain Hardware, and I can't justify spending a couple hundred bucks to replace the tent that's perfectly suited me just fine.

Suppose I ruin my tent on outing ... I'm out, what, $30 to get a new one? If I ruin a $300 tent, now that would hurt a lot worse to replace. When my tent goes, I just might pick up another one from Wal-Mart. I have a wedding registry coming up, and we're registered at REI. I mean, if someone wants to buy my a $300 tent off that, I'll take it and be quite merry. But I'm just fine with mine from Wal-Mart.

The only advice I'd offer is to look at it, use some common sense and gauge for yourself if it's going to hold up. Buy it, take it out, look at it. If you don't think it measures up, take it back. The good thing about Wal-Mart and Target is that they'll take anything back.

I wouldn't take a cheapy tent camping in the Andes, but for your typical state or regional park, it'll do just fine.

firefly

I have never had a problem with cheap tents. The one I have now is quite big. 3 rooms. I bought it at Walmart too. I don`t remember what I paid for it. It was a long time ago. The tent is still in good shape.

kernow

To some extent you get what you pay for, but as 2coastcamper said why pay a fortune when a reasonably inexpensive tent will prove adequate for most camping trips.

frank6160

I love my Coleman tents. Inexpensive but have held up well for me. You can spend more if you have it but it isn't necessary.

grand

For outing in parks and other campsites, an inexpensive tent does well for me. I don't go into places that need a more secured or an expensive kind of tent, so I don't need one.

OpenAir

The only problem that I've had with cheap tents is that they leaked. But generally that can be fixed and/or avoided by the choices that you make. I don't like spending a lot.

3ofusnow

I don't think we have ever had a tent that wasn't from walmart! I just can't seem to justify paying more for one for the local camping we get to do.

Bumpkin

I think an inexpensive tent will do just fine for the average camping trip. There are so many supplies to buy for camping that I couldn't see myself spending a ton of money on a tent.

WisconsinCamper

We have middle of the road tents. I love the Eureka Timberline. I've had the cheap tents too though. The two big things I can think of are (a) make sure it has a fly big enough to cover the tent. (b) It may require a little more waterproofing.

Reese

I don't think you have to buy the most expensive tent out there, but be careful buying the cheapest of all the options. That being said, Walmart has a great selection to choose from.

cnacowboy

walmart tents are great all i use but im a tight wad anyway @ least trying to be seam sealer 3 i seam seal all my tents once a yr and my tents dont leak