Chiggers?

Hilltopper

Ok, I had never heard about these little pests, until a friend of mine told me that his son broke out in a rash after a hike and the doctor said it was from chiggers. What are these and how do you keep them away?

wildberry

Chiggers are a type of mite. They get on you while you are in tall grass, usually. They sometimes migrate to quiet areas on your body, but a lot stay where they are on your legs and ankles. They bite you and can hang on, similar to ticks, and cause terrible itching. Insect repellants help keep them away. Bathing as soon as you can after being in tall grass will help.

Lookaround

Thanks for the info. I will keep myself from the areas with tall grass if possible (but could I?). I often get the similar rush but I never noticed what have bitten me.

peanut

Chiggers are evil and should be banned from everywhere!! I really, really dislike them as I've had them so badly before that I scratched myself silly and end up bleeding. It was AWFUL.

Grady

I've been in the same boat before, peanut. Those things are evil. A couple summers ago I was doing a lot of hiking and I was getting attacked constantly. I would scratch in my sleep and wake up with my ankles bleeding.

There is an all natural repellent that Walmart sells that works well for them. I can't remember the name, but you can find it in the sporting goods section and one of the main ingredients is eucalyptus. It's in kind of a greenish spritz bottle. Chiggers hate the stuff.

failghe

They are found in the Spanish Moss around here. Ford Motor Company used Spanish Moss in their seat cushions back in the day and had to stop because people were breaking out in rashes due to the Chiggers.

scaredycat

Sounds like a real nasty thing to be exposed to! What a bummer it would be to campers if they would have to deal with these critters. I am glad to learn about this. My hubby is a nature enthusiast. I am not.... but I am willing to learn.