Children and survival.

Valdaree

My son regularly takes our eight year old grandson on what he calls a survival camping trip where they sleep under the stars in a sleeping bag with just a basic shelter that they make themselves. They catch rabbits and fish to eat. My grandson loves it. I wish my father had done this with us!

oldsarge

Sounds like a great time and learning experience for your grandson. What better way to spend time than in the great outdoors building and sharing experiences. I too wish I had this happen in my life as a child.

Gondor

I think there is not enough individuals today like your son. Too many people are occupied with their jobs, troubles and who knows what else and won't devote even a day / year for visiting nature.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Probably the best growing up experience you can give a child is teaching them how to use their own two hands.

Luvoutdoors

I think this is awesome and we plan to do the same things with our kids when they get a little older. To me it's not about whether or not they like doing the stuff although I hope they do, but about being able to take care of yourself if the need arises.

Grandpa

I started my own kids very young and they in turn have my grandkids learning early. All my grandkids have backpacked multiple wilderness areas by the time they are 11 or 12.