Clouds

Sophia

I never really paid much attention in school when we learned about clouds, but I have been trying to go back and learn again, because I don't know how many times I have been caught out in a rainstorm when the weatherman said there wouldn't be any! I think it is important to know for yourself, and then if you see any signs, you can still turn back in time.

EyeOfThePark

I have very little knowledge about clouds, but I live in an area with very few storms and pretty good weather, so that doesn't affect my camping.

I suppose you could watch the long-range weather forecast before heading to the great outdoors...

DThewanderer

I don't know much about them either. Usually I just go by how my joints feel. If they are getting achy then I figure it is not a good time to hike or I start turning back right then.

Grandpa

They have names for different cloud formtions. I don't know what they are but I know a storm coming when I see or smell it.

Gunny

Semper Fi
I know a little about clouds. Especially in predicting weather. Here's some of what I know.

- If you see clouds moving in different directions it usually means a storm is coming.

- If you see tall, thick, low-lying clouds (don't know the name of them) in the early hours or mid-afternoon it's a good chance there will be a storm following it.

- You know those high-altitude clouds that are long and thin with holes all in them (again, not sure of the name)? Well if you see several of them overlapping each other it's not good and bad weather is coming.

- Again, not sure of the name of them but if you see those real high, thin, streaming clouds in the sky that mean there's a good chance of bad weather in the next day or two.

- Animals are also a good indication of upcoming weather. If you see birds flying high that's a good thing and means clear weather. If a storm was closing in they usually would fly lower.

OK, that last one had nothing to do with clouds but it's a good fact and knowledge.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I know a storm is on the way because I have the free time to wander into the widerness. It's the only time I wish I had a woman to tell me I couldn't go because then I would be certain of good weather.

freedommachine

I could be very wrong and probably am so dont quote me on this. But an old wives tale I know of says birds line up on power lines shortly before it rains. But when your 70 miles from a powerline it doesnt do you much good. All I can say is when we get some good info on clouds,write them down on a 3x5 card,like a cheat sheet. So when you see the cloud you are not trying to remember what somone said on the forum, just pull out your cheet sheet and know.

Refrigerator

study the cloud formations and define. If you have a fire watch the smoke. This will tell you if a low or high pressure system is moving in. Easy. All you need to define are 3 types of clouds one being if it's raining it's all nimbus.

Betty

Knowing how to read the sky and the weather is a very good and very basic outdoor skill to have. You would not be wasting your time by learning and practicing this!

rockytibby

Now that you brought it up, I think I would like to learn the difference in clouds. We live near a college so I an going to check it out. Because we all know you cant count on the weather man.