Cold Weather Camping

ponderosa

I wonder if he is brother to our mail carrier. He wears shorts all the time, too. He did switch to long pants for a couple of weeks in Dec when it was between 0 and negative 20 and windy, but that's been it all winter. Weirdo. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

AK Hunter

I like camping in the cold but only so cold.
It is not bad as long as it is above 20 degrees or so any colder than that is just too much.
It is nice to be snuggled in your sleeping bag & get woke up by snow flakes landing on your face. Natures way of telling you to get up & tend the fire. LOL

EmberMike

I like cold weather camping, despite a bad experience as a kid. I slept in a tent on snow using gear that wasn't suited for the temperature. Got a mild case of hypothermia but learned some valuable lessons on that trip.

Aside from the obvious one about adequate gear for the weather, I also learned the harsh lesson about leaving gear wet in the cold and how, without a fire, you get to spend an hour in the morning breathing warm air into your boots just to thaw them enough to squeeze a foot in.

My family has me more limited to warmer weather trips these days (can't go too cold with a 3-year-old and a pregnant wife), but I did manage to get out a few weeks ago on a scout trip with my nephew.

Gus

Tent Camper
Brrr... while all the "pluses" mentioned are true, and any camping is better than no camping... I just got back from a weekend camp on the Appalachian, and even though I was properly geared, and even though I did have a good time... it was coldddd! Spring can't come soon enough for these old bones.

Gus
"Of course I trust my political representatives ... just not with my liberties or my wallet" :Camping with Gus