Colder or Older

Stargazer

I know that this winter has already been colder that the past two years in my area but I don't remember feeling this cold. My thermostat has always been set at 68 and I have been comfortable. This year my thermostat is set at 72 and I'm still cold. I think the blood is thinning out.

campclose

Oh no! We heat with a wood stove and it's been mighty toasty inside. I do notice that I don't like being outside quite as much as I did a few years ago. I think it's most certainly the age thing!

ppine

Forester
Cold resistance can change with age. It is affected by alcohol, coffee, tobacco, aerobic fitness and circulation. Find the right clothes. Stay in shape.

I struggled with bronchitis this fall and got cold every evening. Now I have much better resistance to it. I was out in the wall tent last night with the stove going and snow on the ground.

mamabear

It's the older part you're feeling Stargazer. The older I get, the colder I get too. Try eating some "fuel" food like corn bread and beans. That'll warm you up for sure.

Grandpa

Also, next time you visit your doctor, get a thyroid check. Mine was low, they put me on a cheap pill and it cranked up my metabolism. It helped both with the cold and getting some weight off. The cold is still colder than it was in my youth but working the thyroid has helped a bunch.

Hikenhunter

I find myself not dreaming of traveling north as much these days as I used to, even in the warmer months. Winter camping has been replaced with winter hiking as I prefer the warmth of home a little more at the end of the day than I once did.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Acclimation. When it first gets cold, I don't care for it much. But I've always been able to get used to it. The air is denser and contains more oxygen per cubic inch. This helps. If you've been active during the warmer months, continue. Move around in it. Force yourself out for walks of twenty minutes or so before going back in to warm up.

After a while you won't need or want to go in. Keep moving and don't overexert. You'll find those who are much younger than you are headed for cover when you are most comfortable.

These are actually old hunting techniques for dealing with adversity. They still work.

Barney

I'm more comfortable during the coldest winter months when I carry extra body fat. I remember that last winter I was 20 pounds lighter and constantly cold.

carmen

My husband would love if I set ours at 68 but I get chilly a good bit. He just had to cave when we got married, it is now anywhere from 70-72 at the most. Anything less than that and I am in a sweater.

Stargazer

The part that really makes me feel bad is that I used to give my sister a hard time because she was always cold. Whenever she would come to my house she would complain about being cold and I would tell her to 'just have a hot flash and get over it'. There were a couple days last week when I wished I could have a hot flash.

dinosaur

troublemaker
If you want hot flashes you need some excitement. If you don't have a spouse, I suggest you start cruising the local bars or churches. You'll find one.

NatureGal

It is freezing here too, even with the heat on. I wish it could be summer all the time, but unfortunately, it cannot. I just can't wait for spring and summer to be here once again.

offtrail

As we get older we lose that layer of fat under the skin, ever notice how thin the skin is on people over 70. The skin can be so thin that it rips when removing a band aid. Not a fun thing this getting old.

Grandpa

As we get older we lose that layer of fat under the skin, ever notice how thin the skin is on people over 70. The skin can be so thin that it rips when removing a band aid. Not a fun thing this getting old.
You sure it's the loss of fat? My bathroom scale gives that a lie and my skin got fragile at 65.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Greatoutdoors

Well, my hubby and I are the same age and he has finally caught up to my need for the heat. This is the first year he as asked me to turn up the heat, but it has been considerably colder here this year than it normally is.