cook in the woods yes, cook at home fail

calanta

What are the odds that I can not cook a lick in the kitchen but I am pretty good with a grill or around the campfire? My husband swears its because I like the danger of it. Are others like this, cook good in the woods but at home everything fails? You should have seen the bad dinner we had last night. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

ponderosa

My husband kind of falls into that category. He has skills with the Dutch oven, and he likes to do most of the cooking when we're camping (backpacking it becomes my job again, oddly enough). He doesn't do well in the kitchen at home. I think the difference in his case is there are too many distractions at home. He gives something a stir, then heads downstairs to quickly check the football game, and pretty soon ten minutes have gone by.

Ready

I'm pretty good over a campfire and I'm REALLY good over a proper stove. I can't cook on a gas grill to save my life though. I think it's all about love. If you love camping and fire then you'll put your love into cooking the meal.

Grandpa

Not me, I fail both ways. Thank goodness for Mt House, Ramen and Instant Oatmeal or I'd starve when I leave grandma home. I used to be a good cook when I was single but 40 plus years of living with a great cook and 3 daughters who were all great cooks has spoiled me.

Time to go start supper. Rabbit, Idaho baked potatoes and baked beans tonight. Hope that rabbit don't run off.

catspa

"He gives the beans and spuds a stir, then heads off to hunt down a rabbit, and pretty soon ten minutes have gone by."

Parker

ppine

Forester
Calanta,
I love to cook outside because of the freedom to make a mess, and lots of people with big appetities and minimal expectations which are easy to exceed.. Cooking outside is still more of an art. Cooking inside is more scientific for a lot people, measuring cups, temperature dials, timers, etc. I would guess that you like the freedom of cooking until its done with about this amount of heat. I bet you can transfer your success outside to the inside by loosening up your approach. Good luck.

edit- Maybe you need to cook for some people with big appetites. Maybe you can try following some recipes to the letter to get your confidence up. I bet I would savor anything that you cook.

Last edited:

ChadTower

Cooking inside is more scientific for a lot people, measuring cups, temperature dials, timers, etc.

Only to those who want it to be. I cook inside with eyeballed amounts and general temperatures. I guess it's based on how far I would keep something from a flame or coals but who knows. Either way, I am very good at cooking nearly anything by eyeball methods inside, and it is because of all of the experience I have cooking outside.

SpencerT

Hey calanta, I'd say that is a good thing. I'd much rather have some nice hunk of meat on the grill than something prepared and measured out in the kitchen for the most part. I think grilling is a man hobby. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

dinosaur

troublemaker
Not me, I fail both ways. Thank goodness for Mt House, Ramen and Instant Oatmeal or I'd starve when I leave grandma home. I used to be a good cook when I was single but 40 plus years of living with a great cook and 3 daughters who were all great cooks has spoiled me.

Time to go start supper. Rabbit, Idaho baked potatoes and baked beans tonight. Hope that rabbit don't run off.
Hmmmm....You know, I read this post three times because I couldn't believe that a man so adept at everything else could be that bad a cook.

Could it be that Grandpa has just been running a delicate ruse all these many years? Hmmmm............

Grandpa

A word to the wise; A pat on the back is worth two kicks to the ass anyday. Another word (or two); When grandma is happy, everybody is happy:tinysmile_fatgrin_t:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Cappy

It's common knowledge here that every thing taste better when cooked at "da camp". I remember my dad leaning back after a good meal saying "Da only way dat coulda been betta is ifn we woulda cooked it in da woods" There's something to be said for atmosphere, why else would ya jam a weenie on a stick, blacken it in da flames then eatit thinkin yum?

Sagebrusher

It's common knowledge here that every thing taste better when cooked at "da camp". I remember my dad leaning back after a good meal saying "Da only way dat coulda been betta is ifn we woulda cooked it in da woods" There's something to be said for atmosphere, why else would ya jam a weenie on a stick, blacken it in da flames then eatit thinkin yum?
So true...the best box au gratin potatoes I ever had were cooked on a campfire
in the Boundary Waters...along with several walleye fillets! It also helps when a person is very hungry after paddling for 7-8 hours.

wvbreamfisherman

Without bragging (much) I can cook pretty much anyplace, although I need more pratice with Dutch Ovens. My granmdmother was a Home Economics teacher for 50 years, and she lived rignt next door to us growing up, so I got and early education, as did my brother.

Got a post-graduate course in Boy Scouts from a Scoutmaster that insisted on everyone learning camp cooking, and continued on my own.

I've been fortunate to learn from good cooks, who encouraged me to be creative.

(Also helps that my wife isn't a particularly good cook, mostly because she doesn't enjoy it.)

CozInCowtown

I do pretty good both inside and out as long as I keep to the basics,
I am a steak and potatoes guy anyway.
Chicken Enchalada Cassarole and tortilla soup are my specialties.
DC

JeepThrills

Maybe in another life, you were the main cook on a Wagon Train?

I can cook a decent meal on a grill or over a campfire, but since I am the primary cook at home, I prefer to let someone else handle cooking duties when I'm on vacation!

ppine

Forester
I really like the tone of this thread. You guys are all top notch in my book.

Anyone try unusual outdoor cooking- ie exhaust manifold of the truck going down the highway, a shove, burying food in the ground, etc??