Cooking Fish

SweetSassyLady

Has anyone ever cooked a fish by just gutting, scaling, wrapping in foil and grilling? I had someone tell me the other day they cooked fish like this all the time when they were out camping and fishing. Would this work? I would think the head would need to be cut off, is that right?

Grandpa

Yes, cut the head off. I like to put a tsp or two of water in as well, steam protects from burning and cooks more even. Wrap twice in foil and throw it on the coals.

Grandpa

I like to carry a little lemon/pepper and some cajun seasonings for a little variety to just salt and pepper.

ttommyunger

ttommyunger
Fish in foil

Dear Sweet, I've been preparing fish that way since the 80's. I keep Pam, foil, and sea salt with my tackle. Wait until the fire burns completely down and you have a nice bed of live coals. Clean and scale your fish and leave intact (do not filet). I remove fins and head, but that is up to you. Lightly salt the outside of the fish, spray the first layer of foil inside lightly with Pam. Wrap fish loosely and fold edge of foil tightly along one side. Wrap a second foil layer and fold tightly along opposite side. Fold ends of foil back over fish, alternating direction of fold between first and second layers. No Pam is necessary for second layer, it is just to prevent juices from escaping. Bury under coals for ten minutes or so. I then turn it and give it another ten. The foil serves me as a plate when ready to eat. Clean up is a snap; just wad your foil tightly and bury. If you have butter, a dab on both sides prior to cooking is a nice touch. Bones just fall away from the meat. An added advantage is that a minimum of aroma is released thereby minimizing the announcement of dinnertime to the local Bear population, if any.

Bud

That's how I cook fish when I'm cooking what I caught on a camping trip. It's good to put a little oil on the skin so the foil doesn't stick.

slik

Add some butter and lemon slices and its a great way to cook any fish on the campfire

Benny

I have seen some people do leave the heads on. I don't really care to cook fish this way, but some say it is much easier than taking the time to do all the work beforehand. The meat falls off the bone better when it's cooked.

MoreTime

I leave the head on. I remove it before I eat because I don't like it looking back at me, but I was always taught to cook it whole and do whatever you need to afterwards.

Camoguy

Alright, alright, you guys are making me hungry. It's still to cold here for the fish to be up and swimming well yet. I can't wait!!! I'm going to try this on my first fishing trip this year. That sounds delicious. The butter and lemon sound wonderful. Thanks for bringing this up Sweets!

sprink02

ttommyunger pretty much has the recipe that you are after. I do agree with the lemon pepper and cajun spices noted in other posts. I prefer butter over oil or Pam spray, however, by doing so the fish will stick to the foil. Bread crumbs give it the "breaded" taste and keep the fish itself from sticking. Depending on how hot your coals, or cooking surface is, a good sign that it is done is when the foil begins to blow up, puffs up, like a balloon. That also depends on how good a seal you have made though. Try it at home with some store bought fish on the grill. It is an easy technique to learn for camping cooking.