Cookware Metals?

Barney

What material do you prefer when selecting pots, cups and mugs for the road? Stainless steel and aluminium have a nice heat distribution but ss is too heavy. On the other hand titanium is very light but has poor heat distribution.

tentmom

We use a lot of cast iron when we camp. It's heavy but I feel it holds up the best on the campfire and grill. We also use a lot of teflon pans when camping, because they are so much easier to clean.

Barney

Titanium if only boiling water.....Aluminum coated teflon if other.....lite weight for Backpacking.
So, are you saying (from your experience) that titanium is not the best option for preparing meals or other serious cooking? Are there any other downsides beside poor heat distribution?

Refrigerator

So, are you saying (from your experience) that titanium is not the best option for preparing meals or other serious cooking? Are there any other downsides beside poor heat distribution?
Barney...everyone I know who have used titanium and cooked meals with it has had burn and stick problems. Personally I only use Titanium when I am using a full dehydrated food manifest and only need to boil water. If I want to cook meals I use non stick aluminum from Optimus or GSI.
My opinion only

Barney

Barney...everyone I know who have used titanium and cooked meals with it has had burn and stick problems. Personally I only use Titanium when I am using a full dehydrated food manifest and only need to boil water. If I want to cook meals I use non stick aluminum from Optimus or GSI.
My opinion only
Mugs and cups from which I eat are made from titanium. I have some titanium pots but I never had any serious problem with cooking. Although I never cooked any serious food on the road so I can't say for sure I won't have problems in the future.

dinosaur

troublemaker
As an addend to my post, I went to an appliance store today that had a range with a burner that said it would boil water faster. I asked the salesman what that meant. He said that the burner would boil water faster than other ranges. I said: "I'm sorry, but do the laws of physics suspend themselves on this stove and make water boil at a lower temperature?". He said that the element gets hotter quicker and boils water faster than other stoves. I asked; "Wouldn't that depend on the type of pot you use. Different materials dissipate heat at different rates. With the proper pot I could boil water faster with a pocket lighter than you could on this stove.". He didn't know what to say and I was just being difficult which is my nature.

In other words, I pretty much agree with the fridge.

MoreTime

I have some mess tins that I still use, and otherwise most of what I use to eat from is enamel. I cook in stainless steel, because I dislike aluminium.