Crazy glue in the first aid kit

Jade

I keep Crazy Glue in the first aid kit I take camping with us.

It's saved a few trips back into town for stitches, over the years, and it's easy to use for cuts and such that need to be sewn up again.

It's important that the bleeding have stopped, and the edges be pressed into each other and appear as nothing more than a "line" on the skin.

ChadTower

Dermabond works really well for that, too, and adds antibiotics. Don't know how well it would work as a general adhesive, though, speaking in pack multiuse terms.

Frederico

Yes - Dermabond works for me and it is impregnated with antibiotics - I always have some in my basic medical kit. Not sure about Crazy Glue, but if the wound is properly cleaned and disinfected why not ?

ChadTower

Dermabond and has the same main ingredient as Krazy Glue. Sprays based on the stuff saved a lot of soldiers from bleeding to death in Vietnam. They are similar enough that if Dermabond can act as a general adhesive, too, it's a total win in your pack for many reasons.

FireBuilder

We've always used the crazy glue idea, but have often wondered whether we were poisoning ourselves. Good to know about Dermabond. Is that available at regular stores, or do you have to special order it?

woodsman

If you go by the principle of you are poisoning yourself or not, take into consideration that most drugs in high doses are poison :). I myself used salt and duct tape a few times when nothing else was available.

mccallum

BE careful with crazy glue; while it is the precurser to dermabond and while the orginal intention for crazy glue was wound closer post surgery; people have had allergic reaction to crazy glue (and maybe demabond).

BCBabe

In my sailing days, that was a mandatory inclusion in the first aid kit.

I know that if the cyano-acrylic acid (crazy glue) gets into the blood stream, you have a problem... our family doctor was very specific, he said that the wound could not be open when the glue was applied, or complications could arise.

We already knew we weren't allergic to the stuff.

That, and for really long trips, morphine and xylocaine. And yes, both are available for the outdoorsman in forms easy to use.

The advent of modern technology means those things aren't AS necessary as perhaps they once were.

JDSport

I used crazy glue for years until the wife told me about dermabond a few years back. Nothing ever happened to me so I guess I will consider myself lucky and continue to use dermabond.

Dougdad

archeryaddict
I have used my fare share of super glue, and I have also used good old finger nail polish to. On a canoe trip when bandaids would not stay on and the cut was fairly large, I made sure it was clean and completly closed then put a good coat of nail polish on it. My friend had it in his portable fly tying kit. Worked great!

Hayley

You use what you have when in a dangerous situation. There might be dangers, but it is a choice of survival at many points. Duct tape, glue, whatever -- if it works and you are alive and well, no harm.

BCBabe

By whatever means, so long as there is no harm committed....

You do what you have to do, and worry about the details once you're safe again.

I've seen feminine hygiene products used for everything you can imagine, including first aid: the absorbancy factor means less mess with a bloody wound.