Cubed steak

outwest

Anyone tried this over a grill? I am thinking a smaller skillet, fry em up and go but it might be a little tricky when camping too. Seems like a good idea but other than having to pack some extra stuff I don't see a big issue with it.

hikinboot

What about putting them on a metal skewer and cooking that over the fire? Like a shis-ke-bob They have some really nice heavy skewers you can purchase.

outwest

We actually tried just the skillet last night trying to get accustomed to at least pan frying them indoors first. I have to say for someone who had has serious dental work done this was not something that was easy to eat, too stringy.

Ilovelife

I think the key is to bread them with some flour before you cook them. I tried it with almond flour instead of wheat flower and it gave it a really interesting flavor.

outwest

We might need to try that again sometime but I did a little research and I doubt it will be something we take on any upcoming trips. Every cooking site I come across says its "the hardest cut to eat" (eat as in chew).

ChadTower

Heh, I used to practically live on cubed steak when in college. Fry them in a pan after soaking in worcestershire sauce. That's the best way I found. I also used to use a toaster oven with a tin pan.

I was limited to how I could cook in my dorm room. :D

Footprints

When I first read this my first thought was how chewy it would be. You could try marinating the heck out of it first. Also the smaller cut, like shish kabob would help some. Have fun experimenting.

MrDigitech

I

Anytime I'm cooking cube steak I pound the **** out of it. Get it nice and thin. Flour and egg mix with seasonings. Some butter/oil in the pan and you got urself a nice country fried steak.

Never tried it camping but may just have to now that my mouth is watering!

campclose

Yuk! I have to say that I have not tried it on the grill nor on the stove. I don't like the looks of cube steak - it actually looks like someone chewed it up and spit it out.

Grandpa

Anytime I'm cooking cube steak I pound the **** out of it. Get it nice and thin. Flour and egg mix with seasonings. Some butter/oil in the pan and you got urself a nice country fried steak.
Ditto MrDigi. Pound it good. I use the progresso flavored bread crumbs to get the seasoning I want with the egg mix and flour.

wvbreamfisherman

Make baked steak with it. Bread it and cook it in a crock pot or electric skillet with some tomato sauce, garlic, onions, mushrooms and sliced peppers. Add some zuchini or summer squash toward the end so it doesn't over cook. Serve it over rice or noodles.

outdoorchick

I love to do this in the slow cooker. Flour them and pop them in the skillet with hot oil to brown on both sides. Pat them dry, put in slow cooker with potatoes. Then I cover them with pepper gravy and cook on low for a few hours. YUM YUM, and it's not tough that way.