Decent size

mikepond

I am looking for a boat that we can take to the late. A buddy has one that can fit about six people without having them sit atop one another. I am looking for something a little smaller. Not sure what price range I should be looking for and if its good or bad to purchase online rather than in person. Anyone here bought online only before? What should I avoid?

BCBabe

I don't recommend you purchase anything without seeing it in person first: would you buy a car that way? I doubt it. :)

Six bodies, you say? 'figure 18 feet or so, minimum... and what power plant are you looking at, have you seen the cost of gas?

Bob

I bought a boat at the end of the season once. It was advertised online by a local dealer. I liked what I saw online, so I went and took a look, and I bought it. It's been a great boat.

Judy Ann

I tend to overanalyze sometimes, especially with large purchases. As BCBabe mentioned there are a lot of factors to consider besides make, model, size, engines, equipment, insurance, upkeep, storage, tags, trailers. I fished on a 19.5' Keywest for many years, and cannot begin to imagine 6 people hooking something at the same time, three was busy enough! Good luck on your search, and look before you leap!!!

mikepond

A cousin wants to sell us his but I refuse to buy it since I know how he treats his stuff. We are thinking brand new and I really do not trust some of the prices I have seen online so far. Some are just crazy expensive and others are way too cheap to not be fishy.

calanta

I would get it checked out the same way you do when you are buying a car or a truck. You never really know the problems on the inside just by looking on the outside.

energystuff

I've actually had several great online purchases in the $2K+ range. I bought a truck I had never seen in person and had it shipped all the way across the country. Things worked out great! it was really unique and held up well...

It's always a risk buying online but knowing what you want helps a lot. Maybe try to figure out what boat is best before finding a deal on it online.

Pathfinder1

I usually don't swim very far,
when all around me speed boats are.

Hi...

I once built a 16' boat that would seat six people very handily. I got around quite well with only a ten horse outboard on it...plus it had two sets of oarlocks and oars. I love rowing, so that boat was lots of fun in many ways.

I've had it on bodies of water in NY, CT, AK, in Canadian Provinces, and on the Yukon and Klondike Rivers, plus several others. Had a ball with it. Eventually I sold it, and bought a travel trailer with the proceeds.