Deep water fears

Yogi

We live in lake country, and some lakes are shallow but some have spots over 300 feet deep. My neighbor's wife won't go in the boat in water over 20 feet, as she's afraid of the depth. Doesn't that seem irrational?

Bobby

I can understand not wanting to go into water over your head, but, at least for me, there's really no difference between 20 feet and 300 feet. If I can't touch, I can't touch. When I'm in a boat, I'm wearing a life jacket, so my feet wouldn't touch anyway.

le Metis

Once upon a time I used to free dive, and during a short stint on Guam, a bunch of us would dive the Mariana Trench. Our reward for the first one of our little gang who could touch bottom was free beer for a year...lol

However, we would often celebrate our failures and safe returns by climbing one of the highest mountains in the world, Mt. Lam Lam (37 820 ft) in sneakers, cutoffs, and Aloha shirts..

dinosaur

troublemaker
Bathophobia: fear of depths. She doesn't want to be in a place where she could sink into oblivion, never to be found. Irrational, yes, but very real to those who suffer from this fear. Be very careful how you deal with this. To you it's silly, to her it could be life threatening.

Thelosthiker

Bathophobia: fear of depths. She doesn't want to be in a place where she could sink into oblivion, never to be found. Irrational, yes, but very real to those who suffer from this fear. Be very careful how you deal with this. To you it's silly, to her it could be life threatening.
very true...

Chippin

Everyone has a fear or something, and disappearing into a bottomless pit of water doesn't seem too appealing to anyone who happens to have this fear. Just take it easy. Personally I don't think she should be in a boat anyway concerning her fear; I really wouldn't push the issue too much.

You have to admit though, as irrational as it might be, the idea of just disappearing like that is pretty scary. I like going on the deep end of any pool but I have my limits too.

Bambi

I have a fear of bridges. Even though I know the road going over the water is fine and safe and good, I'm still afraid when I go over one. I do it but I don't like it.

Jade

I am PETRIFIED of water, in several ways: if there's dead heads, or if I can't see the bottem... it's irrational, I'm an accomplished swimmer, and I'm still petrified of drowning and things I can't see in the water.

The depth doesn't bother me, what I can't see that could keep me under the water and drown me is what panics me.

Rider One

Nah, it doesn't bother me at all. I love being on the water, wherever I am. It's a fun that never gets old. Of course, I do believe in having a life jacket on and having safety precautions.