Deer Meat

Gabbie

I'm not real big on eating Venison but I do like the Back-strap. That I can cook ok, I just slice it up thin and fry it. It's the other parts that I have problems with cooking for some reason. How do some of you cook the roast and such to have them come out tender and flavorful?

Hazel

Ingredients

1 venison roast (3 to 4 pounds)
10 whole garlic cloves, peeled
2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder, divided
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
7 medium carrots, quartered
5 small onions, quartered
1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons cold water

Directions

Cut 10 deep slits in roast; place a garlic clove in each slit. Combine the rosemary, 1 teaspoon onion powder, garlic powder and thyme; rub over entire roast. Cover; refrigerate for 2 hours.
Add 1/2 in. of water to a roasting pan. Place the roast, carrots and onions in pan. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or meat is tender. Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm.
Strain drippings into a measuring cup. In a large saucepan, combine 3 cups drippings, bouillon, browning sauce and remaining onion powder. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast. Yield: 8 servings.

DMan

I find that in order to get roast venison to come out of the oven tender and juicy, you have to cook it in liquid at a very low temperature. Cutting it up into thin slices also helps to make it more tender.

Judy Ann

Hazel that recipe sounds delish! I hope to get my hands on a roast to try it out and share with others!

rayne

I ended up with 3 shoulders this year and cooked them in an oven browning bag, one at a time of course. I seasoned heavily with seasoned salt, garlic powder, pepper(not so heavy) and then covered the enitre shoulder with bacon strips. I cooked it until tender and pulling away from the bones and boy was it delicious. I still have a little in the freezer that I chopped up in my food processor and am planning to make BBQ out of.

Gabbie

Well now I hope I can get some deer meat roast. Those ideas/recipes look like they would be really good and am anxious to try and cook one now.

campclose

Anyone ever slow cooked them in Italian dressing? That seems to be the thing around here. The smell turns me off so I have not tried any yet. To me, venison is gamey.

Judy Ann

I used to marinade a roast in Italian dressing a few decades ago, but processing correctly eliminates the gamey flavor IMO! I never have cooked anything in salad dressing that I can recall.

ppine

Forester
Take care of the meat in the field. Cook it slowly with some fat and some seasoning. I grind up most of the roasts and the whole shoulder.. Sausage with some pork fat and sage is great for many dishes.

A crock pot of Dutch oven helps break down fibers and makes for tender meat.

Blueskyy

I have never cooked venison in dressing, but chicken breasts in Italian dressing is one of the easiest meals you can make. Throw some chicken breasts (thawed or frozen) into the slow cooker pour half a bottle of Italian dressing on it and dinner is done.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Some very interesting...and very tasty "looking" recipes here.

Being a stove-top chef, I have cooked meats with similar recipes by braising (cooking barely at a boil) them in a Dutch oven or similar on the stove-top, after marinating (in my case, I marinate for four days).

I braise for about four hours, turning out an excellent pot roast or saurbraten. The main ingredients in my marinade are red wine and vinegar, plus many lesser ingredients.

Phrase for use when traveling through hostile areas of the Persian Gulf:

"Shomaeh fekr tamomeh oeh gofteh bande". (I agree with everything you have ever said or thought in your life".