Did you hear about the boy in Utah?

Tomboy

Was just wondering if you all heard about the 9 year old who was separated from his group hiking in Utah and used things he learned by watching "Man vs Wild"? It's a pretty interesting story and pretty scary when you stop and think about how bad this could have turned out.

TV Helps Boy Survive

Sky

That is simply amazing. I get tired of all the survivor shows that are on television now. My kids love to watch Flight 21 Down and a couple of others. It is good to know though, that these shows can actually be educational.

failghe

That must have been really scary for both the young boy and is family. I am glad all came out well.
I used to watch those shows all the time but slowly got away from them. I will watch again soon. You never know what you will pick up, no matter how young or old.

atula

An amazing story really...I do not know if I would be able to use my insticts and knowledge to survive all alone with almost nothing in the wild..I suppose the worst does test your abilities and what all you are really capable of.

jason

fear no beer
That is pretty good for a boy his age. Heck, that would be good for anyone older too. Glad to see he was able to learn from the show.

justontime

It is good to know he survived OK, his family mus have been so scared about what would happen.

marky

Just read up on that story at the Discovery Channel website (yes, I'm a subscriber — it's my guilty pleasure). That's one brave kid, no question about it. However, as I'm sure some of you know, some of the things the boy did weren't really what he should have done in order to survive. Still, the boy was only nine and he acted quite level-headed for a kid his age, so kudos to him.

This does raise an interesting question, though. For those of you have kids and take them hiking with you, do you teach your kids what to do in case they get lost? Nobody wants their child to get lost, of course, but accidents do happen. If you do, what kind of advice do you tell them?

Katydid

I'm so glad to hear that the boy was spotted and rescued. He really kept a level head. I'm not too sure if I would have done as well in a similar situation. It's good to know that he was able to pull some useful information from watching the survival show with his family.