Dirty/musty tent

overtheridge

How often do you clean your tent? I'm not talking about sweeping it out but actually cleaning the tent (material)? How do you clean it? I have noticed that our tent is dirty and has a smell. Yes I got it out already and put it in the garage.

The tent is 2 seasons old and I have not really cleaned it. Any advice would be great!

GPER

Mine is about 5 years old, I make sure it is dry and swept out before I put it away. My last outing my daughter got sick in the tent, I cleaned it out with 409 so I see how it worked this year.

Grandpa

My tents get aired and dried the minute I get home. The old basketball hoop makes a great place to hang it. I also put some ceiling hooks in a basement storage room for anytime other than a warm, sunny day. A little breeze on a hot summer day, hanging in the wind and there should be no clinging dirt left nor any musty smell.

If you do decide to wash it, you will also have to replace the waterproofing. Check at your own sporting good stores for the brands they carry. Some of the brands can be added directly to the wash, but a seam sealer should be used afterwards as well on all seams.

Chilly

I think that if it's already musty, you'd be better of washing it properly now and just making sure that this doesn't happen again. Be gentle with it, and as Grandpa said, don't forget to treat it or you'll have fun next time you take it out!

ChadTower

That's caused by either putting it away wet or storing it somewhere musty. Don't ever pack up the tent wet. Even the plastic underside of the bottom should be dry and clear of dirt. When packing up the site one of the first things I do is find a place to hang the tent so it can dry out completely before being folded up. Sometimes that means hanging up a clothesline or using bungees to spread it between trees.

Refrigerator

Kill the stink
If your tent is the victim of an extraordinarily foul event–skunk spray, baby poop, late-night vomit–dunk the suffering shelter in a tub of warm water and odor-eating McNett Mirazyme.

yosemitefan

If it's moldy, you can probably clean it just by letting it sit in the sun a few days, or spot clean with 1 part bleach and 1 part water (or vinegar if you're afraid bleach will destroy the material). I also seal the seams regularly, because even one leak can be enough to ruin everything in the tent once it starts to rain.

overtheridge

Wow, thanks everyone for the tips. We usually set it up right back up when we get home and let it air out, but obviously this did not happen or work the last time.

It's not moldy really, just musty smelling. So I need to water proof it again then.

Stormypath

Before the season, we set all our tents up and clean them and treat them with waterproofing. I make sure they are clean, with kids it is even harder, they get sick, make messes, sometimes have other accidents so it is vital to clean them up.

Newanderthal

EVERY time you use it, set it up in your back yard when you get home and let it air out in the sun for several hours. This will dry up the moisture that causes mildew. If your tent is really dirty, then spray it inside and out with the water hose, drain it, then let it sun dry. Do NOT pack a dirty, damp tent. I have a 9 year old tent that still looks and smells new.