Do You Carry Money?

hummingbird

I'm always cautious about carrying money when we are hiking. A lot of times there are places to stop where you can get food or drinks and I hate not to take some money just in case. But I'm almost afraid to carry it. How about you?

HikingGuy

I always carry a little cash, five or ten dollars, not much more, just enough for if you are in a pinch, but not enough for someone to want to steal.

Camoguy

Yeah, I carry some but like dinosaur said, I take a hand gun with me. I don't take much, most times under $20 USD. But then they would have to be really hard up to try to rob me.

BigBear

Like the rest, I always carry around a small amount of cash, $20 or less. I figure if someone is going to try and rob me it's better to have a little something to throw at them than to try and talk my way out of it. I'm glad to say that I haven't had that kind of situation arise.

lbean

I keep a little money with me at all times but only around $10 or so. If I have my wallet I stick it in my glove box, then I lock the glove box. And of course I have a pretty loud car alarm too.

Michael

I generally have a little bit of cash on me. Ten or twenty dollars is pretty normal. I just like to be able to use cash if I stop off somewhere for food or beverages; it helps me to budget when I have the cash in my hand rather than using plastic.

It's never been an issue for me.

And really, I'm a lot more afraid of someone getting my plastic and personal information than a little cash. If someone takes a 20 off of me, that's all they're getting. But if they get my license, they know where I live. And if they get my plastic, they can run up big bills; I know you generally aren't responsible for what happens with stolen cards, but it's a hassle to deal with it.

Overall, I'm not really concerned about someone taking 10 or 20 dollars from me.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I generally have around $20 on me. I also carry a couple bucks in quarters in my EDC just in case I get stranded somewhere and need to use a pay phone or something. I don't carry much more than that on me though and getting that from me would be way more trouble than it's worth :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Captain

I always carry a little bit of money, just like you said you never know when you will need it. A lot of places do have little snack shops where we hike. I don't carry a lot in case someone decides that they want my money.

crosscountry

I carry a little on me but the bulk of it stays in the car locked up. I don't generally have all that much cash on me in general.

JDSport

I am like most of you I carry about $10 on me at all times, but I use my debit card most the time. When I am on a hike, I rather just slip a little cash in my pocket and the rest stays in the car locked up.

Noah

I would have never thought to keep it in the first aid kit Jason thanks for the tip! I do carry cash on me about $40. I don't see a problem being robbed in the remote area I go hiking either. I don't like to use cards either like others have posted.

woodsman

I don't see a reason to be afraid to carry cash on you, of course I'm not talking about thousand of bucks but around 20-50 dollars sounds about right, you never now what happens and you don't want to be stranded with out any cash.

evergreen

Depends if I'm deep in the woods camping and I go of on a hike in the surrounding area I usually don't take my wallet with me since the trees probably won't sell me anything, but if I'm just hiking and there are urban areas in the vicinity I'll probably have 30 or so bucks on me.

Thumper

I generally have around $20 on me. I also carry a couple bucks in quarters in my EDC just in case I get stranded somewhere and need to use a pay phone or something. I don't carry much more than that on me though and getting that from me would be way more trouble than it's worth :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

You know those rolled up quarters make a great base for a fist if you have to fight don't you? :tinysmile_fatgrin_t I learned that the hard way from a college frat boy that was harrassing my girl at the time. I won but it was a close fight.

IndianaHiker

I dont carry cash or guns. Where I go is in theh back county so no place to spend any cash anyway. Certainly no need for a firearm.

GentleWolf

This is sort of a related question. I'm not rich. I have a rich brother who gave me his old camera . . . its a Canon DSLR probably worth $500. My brother talks about tourist hot spots and all the camera theifs at places like that. But what about being in the back country with a $500 camera? Its hard to conceal. Has anyone ever gotten an SLR trashed because of the rain? I sometimes take mild risks and I don't know how sensitive they are.

Itchy_Ivy

I guess we are all in agreement. I don't carry much cash around. Never more than $50 at one time. I usually use my debit card. I it is easier to keep track of your expenses. When on hikes, there is no need for money. It is a just in case kind of deal.