Do you listen to music when you hike?

Judy Ann

Just some light rain and strong winds through the trees here in Durham Grandpa. We are used to hurricanes in the Carolinas, but after listening to evacuation orders in NYC and considering the path Irene is bent on trekking, I'm saying a prayer for the major seacoast cities and those populations on the East Coast.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Nothing beats Nature's Symphony!!!
This is reminiscent of that movie "The Sound Of Music". You know, "The hills are alive with the sound of music.". That may be true but then shouldn't the hills have eaten Julie Andrews?

briansnat

Platnium Member
Depends on my mood. I always bring my iPod on hikes and backpacking trips. Most of the time I don't listen to it while hiking, but once in a while I'm in the mood for music and will put in the earbuds.

In camp I usually have music on. I have speakers that fit in the palm of my hand that sound fairly decent.

When I wake up in the morning I always put classical music on. Mozart, Ives, Bach, etc. really make for a great background in the early morning forest.

At night in front of the campfire it's usually mellow rock. Neil Young, Damien Rice, Celtic music, reggae, Nick Drake, Belle & Sebastian, Bon Iver, Leonard Cohen, The XX, Fleet Foxes, etc.

The few times I'm listening to music on the trail I usually put the iPod on shuffle and
shuffle can bring me anything from the Sex Pistols and Beastie Boys to Kate Bush and Miles Davis. With 13,000 plus songs and counting nearly anything can pop up. Ramones, Pearl Jam, Arcade Fire, The Decemberists, Wilco, Johnny Cash, Bowie, Beck, Public Enemy, Kanye, LCD Soundsysem, and hundreds of other artists.

Last edited:

Ingrid

I never listen to music when I'm hiking because It just ruins it for me. Now on the drive out into the sticks I usually listen to a little James Taylor.

danny28

I never listen to music when I'm hiking! I like to hear the great outdoors. I do listen to music when I'm working out or walking on the treadmill. It's usually something fast paced - like Eminem.

ejdixon

I'd listen to a good audio book once in a while after hiking, but never during. I'd like to keep all of my senses alert, especially if I'm hiking alone.

MountainMan22

I don't listen to music when I'm hiking. I just love being in the outdoors away from everything, including technology. I suppose if I did listen to music with an Ipod, I would have the Rocky 4 movie soundtrack. It would help pump me up when I'm going up a steep hill. :p

oldsarge

I think if I had to listen to something while I was hiking, it would be Ed Van Fleet, The Forgotten tribe.

paloma

I only listen to the sounds of nature when hiking. Aside from the entertainment it provides, it also alerts me to sounds that may signal danger. I listen to some music only when in the safety of my house or in the car.