Do you rough it, or bring luxuries?

HikingGuy

I am a simple kind of camper but my wife has back issues so if she comes with me we have to bring a bed, we have one of those Bring your own beds that we take for her.

freedommachine

A blow up bed can be a great thing when camping during a rainy season. If the bottom of your tent floods,you,your blankets,sleeping will be soaked(ask me how I know). At least up on a bed you are a few inches above the floor and might stay dryer.

rockytibby

I like some creature comforts if I'm car camping. I love coffee so I bring a small french press, my Ipod, cell phone, air matteress, bag shower, if its in the winter my big buddy mr. heater. If I could find a camping hair dryer I would bring that to . My hair is really long.

cjulians

I love my tent!

and my down blankets and pillows. Can't live without them. Along with a few other needed items to make my camping most enjoyable. My space heaters, lamps, electric blanket (sometimes if electric is avaiable, like federal land best though), camp stove, lanterns, air mattress and frame. Shower tent and hot water bag, butane curling iron. I have mastered packing and fit most of our stuff and kids into our vehicle. I have decided backwoods is best saved for day use for me. Many trips we also bring our 5 boys and their friends and tow along at least 13 kayaks. Not as deep in the woods as I used to be, but we are still out in the great outdoors and lovein it. I look at my backpack and smile, far cry from my trips today.

BUUZBEE

Tent Camper :)
We do take some luxuries.... air matress is a must (bad back also). large tent for the whole family. A couple of ice chests, one drink & one food. My daughter & whomever she brings along for the trip feel the need for their iphones, so we've invested in one of those battery packs, instead of plugging it into the car (dead car battery! LOL) And I do take along a box of games, from backgamen to yahtzee... we play these after our hiking trips during the day :)

My next luxury i'm looking into is one of those camp kitchen tables... does anyone use one? I like the way it closes down and covers all the kitchen tools etc... and keeps the picnic table free of cookstoves & wash basins! LOL

flint

I usually have a mp3 player with me, listening to some tunes and staring at the stars is the epitome of a good life in my opinion. I however never considered that I roughed it even once when I was out camping, that would entail that I was missing something I needed and that has never been the case.

ChadTower

I can't do air mattresses. My back hurts so much worse after a night on an air mattress than it does on a backpacking pad. Am I alone in that?

Grandpa

I can't do air mattresses. My back hurts so much worse after a night on an air mattress than it does on a backpacking pad. Am I alone in that?
No Chad, you are not alone. Wife brings one of them big air mattresses and everytime someone rolls over the other is launched into the tent roof. I bought her a camp comfort sized thermarest, she thought it was wonderful, then gave it to a granddaughter. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

For backpacking, I did get a big agnus insulated air pad. It's a toss up between that and my thermarest trail comfort but the BA is lighter and smaller so for longer trips it goes with.

ryoga-kun

I guess the fanciest thing I'd bring is a gas stove, but often I'm without that as well. I'm very much a "roughing it" kind of camper. Nothing electronic if at all possible.

Lamebeaver

Well, at least nobody is bringing a generator so they can plug in a microwave and a cappuccino maker.QUOTE]

You need to get one of these......(mini espresso maker)

No generator needed. Small enough to take backpacking.

I also love my Big Agnes sleeping bag and pad. Just because you're "roughing it" doesn't mean it has to be rough....

HikerJoe

My chauffeur is in charge of bringing the Grey Poupon. My butler brings the 1500 thread count sheets, my golf clubs and the Wall Street Journal.

briansnat

Platnium Member
If backpacking we bring a few luxuries. The Thermarest chair converter is one. A light weight hammock, reading material, iPod and mini speakers, cigars and few cans of beer or a bottle of red wine (in a water bottle to save weight).

Car or canoe camping there are a lot more luxuries. Folding chairs and tables, a canopy, a roomy 6 person tent, a cooler filled with steaks, chicken, eggs and beer, a portable propane grill and a two burner Coleman stove.

SpencerT

To me, camping is about leaving everything behind, including the technology stuff. It's about fishing, hiking, swimming, campfires, and story telling. Thats what my parents taught me at least. Of course if I had one of those huge brand new hightech RV's I might change my mind. Hehe.

twilight

Roughing it and bringing a few luxuries are not mutual exclusive in my world. Putting my back on the ground with a little pad underneath is roughing it despite how many truffles or other treat items I have in my backpack!

gregkthompson

I think it is an individual thing, it depends were i go and what time of year it is. If its freezing, I want my tent, if its nice and warm I will take a hammock or just my bag.

ejdixon

It depends on who I'm camping with. If it's just me or I'm camping with my buddies, we rough it out. If I'm with my dad or girlfriend, it's an air mattress than a sleeping bag and a few other more comfortable stuff.

Gwen

It seems that the wives want to bring (almost) the whole house when the family goes camping. I am one of them, especially when the kids are also going. Whatever can be brought should be brought. LOL

paloma

I'm a minimalist when it comes to tent camping since I do most of mine on a motorcycle, ( Goldwing 1800.) K,I,S.S. Tent, bag, inflatable mattress, mess kit and first aid kit in addition to your all-weather gear, etc. ENJOY!