Do you take kids in deep?

robbier

I'm thinking about going in for a pretty intense hike and my sister-in-law wants me to take my nieces and nephews in with me. I think that's a pretty bad idea, as what I want to do is not easy. Have you ever taken in young kids before?

HillbillyMama

I have four kids and we hike quite a bit but if you are going for a "real" hike then I would never take them unless you are hiking with someone else. I would suggest sitting down with her and scheduling a hike for all of you to go on together.

Sniper

I don't think it is a good idea for someone to take kids hiking or camping with no other adult. Too many things can go wrong in a split second.

jason

fear no beer
Have they been hiking in any form before? I would start them on a small trail first, to see how they like it. Make sure they like it, and try and judge how long, and what they can handle. Last think you want is to do all the planning, get in about 20 minutes and they all complain they want to go back.

2coastcamper

I'm thinking about going in for a pretty intense hike and my sister-in-law wants me to take my nieces and nephews in with me. I think that's a pretty bad idea, as what I want to do is not easy. Have you ever taken in young kids before?
Ideally, when children are involved, there should be two adults for these reasons:

1. Something might happen to one of the kids, and an adult needs to run back for help. Having one adult leaves the injured child (and the other children) alone.

2. Something could happen to you, and then the children are left with no adult.

I've been on hikes where two adults could take care of up to 10 children adequately, but the key is the minimum two adults.

Grandpa

Although we start our kids backpacking very young, we do the buddy system with a kid/experienced adult. Note I said "experienced" adult. Some of my grandkids are more experienced at 11 than a lot of adults. But the buddy system is the way to go. Makes them feel important to have an adult as a "partner", not as a tutor. They try their hardest to show their skills and learn much faster than in a "classroom" atmosphere.

ChadTower

If you don't feel comfortable with the idea...

...you're very likely right about it.

If your sister in law wants her kids to go on such a hike I suggest you tell her she needs to come along. That will probably nix the idea instantly.

Esperahol

Well to start off with they're young so that makes the idea a shaky one from the start. Then you are thinking of taking a lot of them, which is a pretty big undertaking even with multiple adults nevermind just you. Finally is the fact that when you least want something to go wrong is when it will.

So, you're in deep and someone slips or trips or gets surprise mauled or there is an accident involving fire/water/sharp objects... and already you can see that this is a senario you don't want to deal with. You should probably sit down and discuss this with your sister, but if you feel uncomfortable then you are probably right to feel that way.

ejdixon

Took a couple of my nephews out hiking, but these are often on short and easy trails. For some reason, they get tired more easily when it comes to hiking. Also, you can never tell what can happen. There is always the possibility that someone might get injured along the way. Like what everyone else suggested here, if you don't feel comfortable with the idea, best go with your gut.

ppine

Forester
I have taken other people's kids far, deep and for long periods of time. Just make sure you try them on a day trip first to judge their personalities. Kids are very adaptable if their parents are.

carmen

For us it would depend on their age and how experienced they are. I know our youngest right now can only handle short trips at a time so anything long haul like would not be a cake walk for her by any means.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Taking my 9 year old on a day hike with an experienced group saturday. Its 7 miles. If she likes it I have an overnight planned with the same group in the spring. I have to get her into this quickly before she gets to be a teenager and Im suddenly profoundly stupid and embarrassing to be with. I understand when she gets to be 20 or so, I'll become smart again though.

ponderosa

I think it depends entirely on the kid... their experience, fitness, personality, behavior, etc. I was backpacking 5-6 days with extended family members when I was 8 years old, doing 7-9 miles a day in the mountains. I've taken my own toddlers deep in the backcountry. I have some nephews that I'd take on serious backpacking trips, and others that I wouldn't take to the city park.

shaun

My son is 6 years old and he loves coming on challenging hikes with me. He has grown up coming on hikes with me, I used to carry him around. My son is experienced and he is enthusiastic, this obviously helps. i think you should take them if they want to go with you and you have told them what to expect, but I would opt for an easy hike if they have no experience.

TroyS

I think it depends entirely on the kid... their experience, fitness, personality, behavior, etc. I was backpacking 5-6 days with extended family members when I was 8 years old, doing 7-9 miles a day in the mountains. I've taken my own toddlers deep in the backcountry. I have some nephews that I'd take on serious backpacking trips, and others that I wouldn't take to the city park.
For me, it's a bit of both. I completely agree that it all depends on the personality of the kids. Of my three kids, the only one I've been able to bring to any hiking trip is my eldest since he is the only one who's the most interested about it. My other two are not really thrilled with the idea.

At the same time, it depends on the parents. No matter how thrilled my eldest is when it comes to hiking, I have to say I haven't really taken a hiking trip with him more than 3 miles both ways, mainly because it's the most comfortable I am going (we've just started doing this for a few months). Of course, we'll eventually go further and further until I'm comfortable to go on an overnight hiking trip. After all, if I can't be comfortable to say that I can take care of myself out there, how much more with my kid.