Do you wait for good weather?

Sammee

Do you hike, camp and hunt in all weathers or do you wait for good weather? Because we get a lot of cold weather up here in Alaska, I guess we're accustomed to it so we tend to do stuff all year round.

dinosaur

troublemaker
My idea of good weather is when the game is moving or the fish are biting. Sometimes this tends to be pretty crappy by the "beauty of nature" standards of most people. But I'm not there to take pictures or get a sun tan.

Grandpa

When hunting season opens, we are there, despite the weather.

My out of state friends and I plan our backpacking trips months in advance despite the weather.

When hiking the sandstone country of Southern Utah, Northern AZ, etc. We ALWAYS check the weather. Those flash floods are for real down there. And storms make those ledges and scrambles too risky.

I don't winter camp in the snow when it's raining. It's has to be cold to enjoy it.

Bottom line is the activity being planned.

Safety is still number one. Grandma would kill me If I came home dead.

Last edited:

Camoguy

I will go but I don't like the rain.

Grandpa-Yeah, I understand the not going when it's raining violently. We've been having some flash floods in our area where they have never happened before. It's freaky.

Grizzly

Grizzled Camper
I personally enjoy hiking in rainy weathe. There tends to be a lot less people out and it gives you a different perspective of nature.

My best hunting is in terrible weather. Have you ever tried to hunt ducks when it is sunny and there are no clouds in the sky Versus a low cloud ceiling and raining. I know which ones hunters perfer.

LittleLady

I'd prefer nice weather, but I'm not going to cancel a trip over the forecast. Before we had kids, I looked forward to going in the rain. It made everything more cozy to me. With kids, it's just a pain.

campfire

No, I go rain or shine. I like the less crowded, drizzly, overcast days. I seem to have the best trips and see the best sites during those times.

T

tentrus

We go out all the time too, we just dress for the weather. I think the fish bite more in the rain. Camping is fun when it's raining - as long as it's not cold rain. We pretty much go whenever we can.

oldsarge

I'd prefer to stay warm and dry, but if all else fails and I'm out there...so what. I was once told...There is no poor weather, only poor clothing. Not an avid hunter, but I see the point, if your want to eat, you can't let weather stop you.

woodsman

One thing I hate more than anything is mud. I don't mind the weather whatever it is, but I always tend to grovel when I have to make my way though mud that sticks one minute and slips the other.

Smack

I don't mind rainy weather so much, it's the cold that gets me. I was diagnosed with arthritis in my lower back, so if I get cold, I get achy and stiff. But if it's a warm summer rain, you bet! I'll be out there regardless!

greentea

Depends on the occasion really and where I'm going, but most of the time I don't mind. Guess the only thing that bothers me about heavy rain is when it's in bear country, it masks the smell and sometimes the sound so It's easier to surprise a bear, which is usually not a good thing.

woodsman

I understand your hate, but will you push through it? I will.
Well if I find myself in the middle of it, I'm not about to stop under a tree and wait for the mud to dry up. Depending on the season that might be a pretty long wait.

ChadTower

If we wait for the perfect weather the season will be half over before we get out the first time. We go and if the weather is difficult we buckle down and stay safe. It's not hard with a little prep work.