Does Anyone Else Buy Army Surplus?

Thumper

We used to have an Army Surplus store around where I live. I bought a lot of our camping equipment from there. I would even buy my pants from there because they lasted forever. Boots were great too. But then they went out of business.

I just found this site:

- Army Surplus Warehouse

and I was wondering if anyone had bought from them before? They have some decent prices but I'm used to handling the item I want to buy before I buy it. Anyone?

Alliegator

That's a nice site Thumper! I haven't seen an Army surplus store in years. I used to shop the store around me all of the time but they have disappeared. I would rather have something built like this.

Thumper

Yeah, I know. Our Army surplus left too. I go online now to find a lot of the things I liked. The old MRE's we used to buy (in date of course) were not that good. There are a lot of places that sell backpacking food and they are pretty good. I love the dehydrated fruits but my favorite are the strawberries.

evergreen

You could check around some reviews for the site to see if they are legit, but I find no reason they wouldn't be, plus you get better prices since it's not a brick and mortar store so they don't have to cover the cost of a physical store to.

HikingGuy

We have one close by, I haven't been there in a while but it is a fantastic place to buy good quality things. I may have to go back now.

hummingbird

My husband and I regularly buy Army surplus from a nearby store. My husband got a really great knife with the holder to put on his belt there. He's used it a lot and it's still good as new.

woodsman

I'm not that big of a fan myself, if you shop around online you can probably buy better equipment for the same price in my opinion, all tho it does depend on what you need, but more often than not there is always an alternative to everything you can find at the a.s. stores.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I love surplus military stuff. Tough as heck, well priced, and built for the outdoors. I have a couple full camo suits in different patterns for when I want to blend into the woods, and a few sacks and pouches.

The shop closest to me has Osama Bin Laden and a random thug in life-sized paper archery targets I have been wanting to get my hands on lol. Might be a little intense for my neighbors though. They sit and watch me shoot quite often when they think I am not aware. I can magine the horror on their faces as I'm poppin' arrows into some one's bean :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

IndianaHiker

Dont buy Army surplus my self. Was in the Army and know that I can get better stuff for the same price. Since I backpack most all of the Army stuff is to heavy and to bulky.

oldsarge

Still have quite a bit of issue equipment myself, it does hold up well. When it's gone I'll most likely replace it with lighter more modern stuff that's out there now. I guess it all depend on how much someone wants to get into the activity. Surplus can be a cheaper way to go, but I think folks who spend most of their time in the outdoors will go with the newer equipment.

Bob

We have an Army/Navy store in our town. Since I was Navy, I get a kick out of cruising it from time to time. I don't usually buy much surplus stuff. They carry name brand things too.

Gus

Tent Camper
You are right about that weight issue Indianahiker. I have found some camping hardware items, (knives, storage boxes, and stuff), that worked great, but otherwise commercial always seemed lighter and better suited.

Gus