Does anyone know how to make campfire pies?

Penelope

When I was a kid, we used to go camping with my uncle and he made these delicious campfire pies. They reminded me of turnovers. I do not remember how he made them. I looked through the recipe area and did not see a recipe for them. Does anyone know what I am talking about? If so, do you know how to make them?

Hikenhunter

we somtimes use pie irons over the camp fire. Basically you put a slice of bread in the iron,lay your filling on top of it, then cover with the other slice of bread, place iron above the coals and turn every couple minutes and in abouyt fifteen minutes you have a pie type of sandwich.

WillaMarie

I've never heard of these before but sounds like they would be good. Your recipe Hikenhunter sounds pretty simple and certainly worth a try though. :)

ppine

Forester
I have made lots of pies on trips. A Dutch works fine or sometimes I just use instant pudding and fruit in a shell of crackercrumbs.

Hikenhunter

I have made lots of pies on trips. A Dutch works fine or sometimes I just use instant pudding and fruit in a shell of crackercrumbs.
You gotta love that dutch oven cooking, I know I do. But the pie iron thing is fun for the kids once in a while. And I am the oldest kid in my campsite.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

ppine

Forester
Hikenjunter,
"I am the oldest kid in my campsite." That is a great line. May I use it on someone in the future?

charley

I knew a family of 4 that when they went camping they did all their cooking with pie irons. I guess it made clean up easy. Heat the iron a little in the coals but be careful the cheapies will melt. Butter the outside of the bread, lay the bread in the warm iron butter side against the iron, put whatever you want, like apple pie filling and a piece of cheese on top of one piece of bread, close up the iron, cook in coals, flip it over a cpl. times, don't burn it, when done put on plate to cool a little and eat.
You can do any fruit pie filling and also, ham and cheese, bacon and egg, peanut butter and jelly, tomato sauce,pepperoni, and matsarelli cheese(like pizza). anything that sounds good.

TakeAHike

Pie irons are great. We have a set and we use them every time we camp. You can make anything in them too-from fruit pies to pizza pockets.